OK, what am I doing wrong... OK, what am I doing wrong... OK, what am I doing wrong... OK, what am I doing wrong...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default OK, what am I doing wrong...

Went perch fishing for the first time Saturday east of Ballast island with the 100 or so other boats. Used a spreader with two minnows, went to the bottom and cranked it up a turn or two. Got there around 10:00 am and fished about three hours without a single catch. We did use preserved minnows that came from Gander Mountain, maybe the fish dont like those or something. Lots of fish were on the fish finder. I'm all ears for suggestions. Thanks!

Default Very lite bite

Bryan, I fished that area and found the bite was EXTREMELY lite. I used a single hook and dropped it to the bottom and very, very slowly cranked it up, i'm talking a foot up in 10 seconds. When the line felt tight or even a slight tick of the line, I set the hook and brought it up. I was using frozen shiners from Rickards Bait and cut them in half. Make sure your using a small hook. Don't give up! Give it another try, and feel for the lite bite.

Let us know how you do.
    Last edited by Eyezcrazy; 08-15-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added info

Thank you, that makes me feel a little bit better! I'll try that technique next weekend, BTW, I'm using a #6 hook.

I've caught a few perch in the past couple months casting for walleye, but this was the first time I fished for perch exclusivly.
    I just started fishing in Feb so I'm still learning. The info I've gained from this site has helped a ton!!
    Last edited by Bryan; 08-15-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Bryan, If you PM me your addresse I will send you one of rigs that I use.. Youre catch rate will go way up.. Or on saturday I am doing a walleye/Perch combo trip.. You will learn alot with me on a day on the water.. either way .. Or give me a call and I may be able to talk you through to a better catch..

Always use fresh(live) minnows, the salted/preserved stuff is an extremely poor substitute.

Thank you Skipper9, PM sent!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine81 View Post
    Always use fresh(live) minnows, the salted/preserved stuff is an extremely poor substitute.
    I was guessing that, they didn't even smell like minnows!

I've been reading about those fish biting at Ballast since the last time we fished there, which was June 26. That's almost 2 months of seeing lures drop down everyday. You would think they'd smart up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine81 View Post
    I disagree. Not sure about the Gander Mountain stuff but I catch allot of perch on frozen lake shiners and even when we take out live shiners I cut them in half.

Bryan just listen to skipper9 and you will be fine.

This is just my opinion.. I am not saying anyones choice of bait is wrong.. I tell everyone with whatever works well for them.. I find that either live or frozen shiners work equally well. I do not cut minnows in half unless they are huge.. I think that cut minnows attract junk fish.. Hyway baits frozen minnow supply is the perfect perch minnow right now.