Getting down deep - dipseys and conventional weights Getting down deep - dipseys and conventional weights Getting down deep - dipseys and conventional weights Getting down deep - dipseys and conventional weights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting down deep - dipseys and conventional weights

I've fished walleye all my life but only recently in Erie. I've had to learn about it all over again. I'm finally starting to get some good catches. I hear a lot of chatter on 68 about dipseys and I've used them myself. I've also used slip sinkers successfully for walleye. They're less drag on the line, they affect the action less than the dipseys, they get down just as deep when you let out the right length of line according to your line counter reel, they're a lot cheaper to buy and they're simpler to use. I'm seeing as good or better success on slip sinkers as I am on my downrigger. What's the real advantage of dipseys? Am I missing something?

I like the dipsy because it gets your lines away from the boat and they act like an attractant also. Your weights are good also and easy to drag behind inline boards I think when you break away from the riggers personal preferences are top but jets and boards are kicking a$$ in a big way. My preferred is purple with glitter and what lookalike black veins on it.

Cool

I personally like the dipsys over downriggers. You get that surging action with the waves which lets the bait pull hard then flutter a little and back and forth. Downriggers are probably what I catch the least amount of walleyes on. I do agree with "bailey" tho, inline boards with jets and weight have been working good. I like to use darker colors as opposed to the real bright colored jets.

TORPEDO DIVERS, TORPEDO DIVERS, TORPEDO DIVERS......LOL they are my prefrence over dipseys way better. second would be lead core(leads been hot as of late), third jets.....F*?k those down riggers mine have been in the attic of the garage for years. and my prefrence are big boards. 200 walleyes since june 10 speaks for it self.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been using 12 lb Berkley Vanish, which I worry is a little light for the larger dispseys when back of a planer board - I've been using size 0 and 1. Any recommendations?

Drag the jets and torpedoes behind boards and go with spiderwire 20 on dipsys or even 25 # or a braided line of your choice much better releases and you see every action they make due to no stretch in line. I have smaller dipsys I use in shallower but I have never tried behind boards myself. How do they work for you that way?

Actually not working too well behind the boards. Just too much drag on the line and hard to detect strikes.

Thanks for the feedback on line weights. I think I'll up it a bit.

Yeah but go to a braid you wont regret the switch I run 30dipsys but also chase the kings or I would go lighter. With the boards strikes can be touchy zig zag now and again till you figure them out the inner board or the one you turn towards should run up along side if it lags chances are you have something on.

It figures the braided line would work better on the dipseys just because the stretch is less. I'll give it a go. I'd love to tie into a king. When I lived in BC I fished salmon whenever I could. We used big flashers and big beaded hooks, mostly. What's the technique on Erie? Where do you go?

I go out of point breeze on Ontario spoons and j plugs are the ticket soon your more than welcome to tag along if ya want we can go out in my boat or sure my buddy would take us with him. I am sure he is laughing as he reads this. All he ever asks for is gas money to offset cost and it's fair in my book. Let me know if your untreated we will set it up. I am like 34 miles from buff and 24 miles from Ontario it takes like 40 minutes from downtown towing boat to my house.