walleye fishing in April? walleye fishing in April? walleye fishing in April? walleye fishing in April?

Default walleye fishing in April?

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum. We have a charter set up for April 8 & 9 of this year. We have never fished Lake Erie before and have some concerns.

What can we typically expect as far as weather, fishing and lake conditions?

Default Expectations - High

Expect above average fishing results. Daily limits...no problems. Fish are easily caught on jigs and blade baits (no live bait needed). Weather: Wet, Windy and Rocking (Dramamine is the order of the day). Waves can push the limits of the strongest stomachs. Most daytime high's are decent and tolerable (50's) but can go either way during that time of the year. Check in with a local bait shops for up to date information in terms of what colors are working. Buy something from them to make sure that they stay around year after year as well

Other than that, it's good fishing!

huntandfish75 Guest

Thumbs up Be prepared

When you fish Lake Erie in April you have be prepared for anything. Bring rain gear and clothing for both warmer (50's) and colder weather. You can catch the best walleye of your life that time of year but you may have to tough it out as far as the weather. Trust me, I have seen it all. We have operated a fishing camp out of Port Clinton for generations and some of my best fishing has been in April. Neoprene gloves will help you if it gets cold. They fit like a second skin so you can still work with your lures and bait without having to take your gloves off all the time. Good luck and tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by not2often View Post
    Expect above average fishing results. Daily limits...no problems. Fish are easily caught on jigs and blade baits (no live bait needed). Weather: Wet, Windy and Rocking (Dramamine is the order of the day). Waves can push the limits of the strongest stomachs. Most daytime high's are decent and tolerable (50's) but can go either way during that time of the year. Check in with a local bait shops for up to date information in terms of what colors are working. Buy something from them to make sure that they stay around year after year as well

Other than that, it's good fishing!
    thanks for the reply looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by jcweis1 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am new to this forum. We have a charter set up for April 8 & 9 of this year. We have never fished Lake Erie before and have some concerns.

What can we typically expect as far as weather, fishing and lake conditions?
    Number one thing is to dress for water temp, it ay be a 70 deg day but the water temp will be in the 40's. Better to dress warmer than needed, otherwise might not be a good time when fighting the chills.