Perchin' off Huron. Perchin' off Huron. Perchin' off Huron. Perchin' off Huron.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Basspro Guest

Default Thanks for the info

Thank you for the info Fred, I will be up there around 11:00 sat. coming out of Akron. One of the guys has to cash his paycheck or would be there earlier.
    Will let ya know how we did sat. night.

What part of Akron, I was born and raised there, near 77 and 18.

Basspro Guest

In Ellet, close to 76 and 18. You must have live by Fairlawn or Bath?

Basspro Guest

Went out of Huron river yesterday. Picked up 20 perch between 2 of us. The thrid guy got too sea sick to fish, he would not let us take him back in to get the dramine(sea sick pills) out of the van for him. Futher out from the pack we did pick up about 40 nice white bass. Got a late start, I think we would have done better on the Perch earlier in the morning.

Two of us went out Saturday, got out at 9:30 am and fished it hard. Saw lots of fish on the fish finder, but ended up with 46 perch between us. Real slow bite. Some places we went to produced ONLY white perch and drum. We got out of there. Finally off the the mouth of the Huron river in 32 fow at 5 PM the perch started hitting again pretty hard. I kept telling my partner that we really have to go in so that I can take the family out to dinner. He catches a double as I baited my hook. Then I get a double and state that we really have to go in. An hour later we caught as many perch as we did in the first 7 hours out there. My wife said out of one side of her mouth that if they were hitting like that you should have stayed and out of the other side of her mouth she asked why I wasn't back when I said I would be.

Three of us (daughter went this time) went out of the Huron river on Sunday and headed east over to Old Woman Creek. Bait store said they were hitting well over there in 20 fow the day before. Lake was real calm and made for a nice mid morning. No action at all there. Went over to the Cranberry Creek fishing fleet, action very slow there also. Went out to deeper water, around 38' and things picked up a bit, still slow, lake still calm. Came back in around 3:30 with only 31 perch, lake kicked up quite a bit at that time. Question: do you guys feel the bite is stronger from 6am to 10am or does it not matter? I find that from 11am to 2pm is a very slow time. Any comments?
    Last edited by FredT; 09-08-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Two of us went out of Huron yesterday, Sunday. Got out at 0730 just north and east of the river in 32 fow. This is somewhat close to shore as far as perchin' goes. We had our 60 keepers by noon and went in to drop them off at Fred's cleaning service on the river. We decided since it was early to go back out and see if we could find some unlucky walleyes. On our way out we saw hundres of gulls dipping at the surface, screeching and raising H. This was toward Cedar Point, more off of Sawmill. We figured the white bass had pushed the bait fish to the surface. We were correct and tore into them for two hours. The WB were splashing the surface near the gulls and would move on, so we would gun and run to keep up with them. My buddy got a big fat one that we measured, it was 17 inches. All of them were between 14 and 17 inches, not a small one in the lot. They would hit anything that looked like a 3 inch minnow. We caught and released all of them, over 60 total. Went back in, the perch cleaning was done when we went by Fred's and home we went.

Default Sat. 9/19

Went out Saturday from Huron. Rough ride out. Went about 13 miles to the dumping grounds. Slow start. Caught about 60 fish in the first 4 hours. Captain decided to move away from the pack. Went North a mile or so out of the pack in 42 fow. Caught the rest of our fish (90) in an hour and a half. Lots of doubles. Everything right on the bottom. There were 4 of us plus the captain. Pretty fun day after the move. We didn't keep anything under 7/12" and after the move caught quite a few in the 10-12" range.

Doug

You were out Saturday in that mess? I tried to motor around for awhile and came back in. Then again I only have a 17' Whaler. That dumping ground sure can produce.

It was a charter. 30' boat. Still a rough ride out. Quite a few boats out there. Several bass boats we thought were crazy. The key seemed to be moving away from the other boats.

Doug