fished wild wings 04-05-08 fished wild wings 04-05-08 fished wild wings 04-05-08 fished wild wings 04-05-08
    hawg heaven Guest

Post fished wild wings 04-05-08

Lets get down to business. I live in Fort Wayne, IN and I love to fish the western basin for walleye. I always try to get the latest fishing reports and check the weather forecast before I head out. My father and grandfather are my fishing companions and have taught me all I know about the great lakes. We have a 22ft. starcraft aluminum deep-v fisherman series boat. Now that being the case the weather plays a huge role for us. Winds out of the north and east can create some pretty rough conditions for us sometimes but we still manage to catch fish. Conditions Saturday were great. Lots of sun, light variable winds, waves less than a foot and the water was starting to clear up. We got on the water about 10AM and fished until 3PM. We had 4 fish in the boat and lost 1 at the boat. However being out for 5 hours and coming home with 4 fish tells me one thing. The springtime walleye spawn on the reefs is not yet in full gear. I say give it another week or two with good weather and we will be looking at some of the hottest fishing of the year. I am new to this site and hope I will be able to get some good reports from some of the other members. Thanks and good luck the 08 fishing season is here. See-ya on the lake.

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

You said all that needed to be said.The water is cold and muddy yet.Hopefully this will change two weekends from now when we have a hundred of us from OGF going to the Turtle Creek Fest.

Unhappy It's Time-----Butt

I have no plans to wait two weeks to get the boat wet again. I was there sat also and my take is a little different. I went out of fenwick 4/5/08. Fished from 8-2:00 with 6 of us. We saw two nets swing among the approx 300 boats between cone/pickerel reef/ locust reef and in shallow. It is a simple case of heavy rains and field run off combined with 3 days of northeast winds not letting the muddy water disperse. Did ya notice all the flooded agricultural fields? Not a good sign. The fish are there, but suspended. The females will not lay eggs in water that muddy. Not saying thier smart, but thier instincts tell them that the mud will sufficate the eggs when it settles.
    We had strong south & southwest winds yesterday. Light SE today. God willing we will keep some south and west to the wind this week. If we do the water will clear and the spawn will be on. I will be fishing Thur/Fri/Sat/ & Sun will post our results.
    Our results sat were worse than yours. I rolled 4 or 5. Hooked one foul. Let it go. Talked with 4 charters and they said the same. Just too darn dirty.
    There were some dandy logs to dodge though.

C Ya on the water

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

Het Jiginitis did you see the forcast for the weekend??DOESN'T look all that great.

BUCKEYE306 Guest

Default Still Slow

The Buckeye was out yesterday in the reef area in front of Wild Wings.The fish are not there ,if you run out another mile to around 17 to 20 feet of water there is large amounts of them,the water is still too dirty and the water temp is 43 ,Im going to guess 1 more week the fish will move in.
    On a side note I have noticed the rivers having maybe there best year in the last decade,lots of old female being pulled out,I
    hate to say that but that is going on.
    We r useing floating jig with 3-4 ft liter with a light weight on top of it.

The Buckeye of course

Smile Looks ar'nt everything

erie rebel. your right about the forecast, but I will adjust where I launch to relieve the impact. Strong west winds I will launch in Michigan. Strong south I'll move back to Fenwick. I have had some of my best days jigging when we had to suck the ice off our pole guides. (that just dont sound right) I dont care about rain, snow, sleet, or even hail, but 4-6 ft waves jigging aint no fun. If we have that then I'll crappie fish my pond.

Jperch Guest

Default looks aren't everything

Jiginiti69,
    You mentioned on another post that I could go out of Cullens Park and fish the bay area also. Will I need both Mich / Ohio License for that area? Driving 5 hours and would really love to fish by Wild Wings / Happy Hookers area if weather will hold. Willing to move around if need be and Friday looks the worst as far as wind goes. I have never fished the river run out of Peryysburg but might try that on the way up Friday if wind is a killer?

Thanks for all you help and input!