May 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports May 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports May 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports May 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bigcahooona1 Guest

Smile Walleye

Saturday 5/2 fished 6 hours picked up 10 fish 2 fish Ohio's 29" & 30" fished north of Kelleys 45' fow close to the line. Trolling with stingers and dipsy. Most hits on spoons. I think the jig bite is about done and trolling is the way to go! Good luck to all...will be back up this weekend.

Jfish Guest

Thumbs up Sat (5/2) & Sun (5/3)

Saturday we started out by K can and caught 5 or 6. We moved around there for about 1 1/2 hours and went to Niagra where we caught no eyes. Then we moved to Crib and caught the rest just before 12:00 making the 2 man limit.

We caught most of them on white jigs tipped with a minnow. Some with no minnow or a white hair jig with a gulp green/chartruse minnow.

Sunday we started by K and again caught 5 or 6 moving around here and there by K. Then we moved north of Locust and by Cone (here and there) and caught another 10 making 16 for 3 guys. It was really tough when it laid down.

I was using the white 3/4 hair jig with tincil and no minnow. My buddys were using minnows. Most were caught with no minnow. They were spotty.

Lots of sheephead, catfish, and white perch.

Overall not a bad weekend but it was tough. I think we were lucky!

Fished Tuesday night for 2.5 hours in front of Turtle Creek. Fishing very spotty. 5 walleye on purple jigs and 1 walleye on a purple blade bottom bouncer tipped with 2 minnows

waterdog Guest

Default Friday May 8th morning fishing

My wife caught two walleye, one 16" and one 24" on a perch spreader in 20' of water fished just off the bottom, about a half mile south of E can. She also caught 6 white perch and 2 white bass. She caught one walleye on a night crawler and one on a minow.

I was using the purple jig tiped with a minow, and caught a sheephead. I tried other lures but the spreader my wife was using was doing great!

Well I am eating fish tonight because I brought my wife!

Whos_Yer Daddy Guest

Default Cranberry Creek Night Fishing

Fished friday evening between 8-11pm between Cranberry Creek and the Mansion.

5 walleye 19-22"
    12-16' fow

Trolled hot-n-tots 150' back.

Chrome/black

Water is finally starting to warm up.....Good fishin's on it's way !!!

Blog Entries

Default 5/8 AND 5/9 fishing

Another tough weekend to fish caught about 50 sheepshead friday eve in frt of davis bessie . went out to round reef and toussant sat am caught about 12 nice eyes 26 in or so but waves were tomuch had to head in around noon erie deries green white redorange bottombouncers worm harness ,purple hairjigs all caught fish another week or so wit some cooperation from wind and rain and the fishing will be better hang in there

Jfish Guest

We caught 6 eyes on Sunday.

The water was kind of muddy from that fierce West wind the day before.

2 were caught by K can and 4 on Locust. We left at noon.

It wasn't my day that day. I only caught one of the five and my buddy caught the rest. He was using hair jigs with several minnows on them. At first I wasn't using a minnow but then I switched and caught 1!!

Gonna troll this weekend with spoons. It's supposed to be flat calm (they're saying right now).

eyecatcher Guest

Smile weekend 5/7 5/8

fishing slow but good 10 nice eyes 3 over 5 lbs nightcrawers flouresant orange 1.5 25fow so bass

waterdog Guest

Default Friday May 15

A nice day on the lake, but no eyes!
    I caught some of the bigest Sheepheads I have ever caught today.
    Started at Round Reef , then to Niagara Reef and no eyes!
    I was using jigs(purple) tiped with minnow and night crawler harness too!
    The only thing I can think of is the lake has been affected by the high waves and that has mixed things up as far as fishing goes.

Default May 15th walleye fishing

Tried drifting the deeper water off of the SW corner of Kelley's Island, the graph was full of fish but we couldn't get anything going. Got 1 walleye on first cast and that was it. We fished for 3.5 hours and never boated another fish, not even a sheepshead. Seen a few fish netted but not many. The water was pretty dirty all the way out and was still dirty where we fished. We heard one guy on the radio that was 3 away from their limit but no idea how long they were fishing. They must have been close because their signal was super clear.

Heard of a good bite going 1 mile off of Crane Creek but with 2'-3' waves we didn't feel like running the 10+ miles on one un-substantiated report.

We had been getting good numbers off of Starve Island Shoal jigging the past couple of weeks but that is over. I have no idea where the fish have moved to.

Because of the lack of reports it looks like no one knows where the walleyes have moved to.

Russ