May 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports May 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports May 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports May 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default May 2009 Western Lake Erie Fishing Reports

Actual Fishing Reports only please. Any post in this thread that is not a direct report of fishing activity will be deleted. We are creating an area where folks can easily scan actual fishing reports by date. We'll create a new sticky thread for each Month, May, June, July ....

Default may 2nd

We went out at 6 am yesterday. Fishing was slow. We hit several reefs, Kcan and a few other spots. We caught 20 fish total in 7 hours of fishing. It was one fish here one fish there all day. At the fish cleaning we had 60 pounds of fish for a 3 pound average. Not bad since everyone seemed to be struggling. We caught everything on purple hair jigs within 6" of the bottom. We probably caught at least 15 to 20 sheephead. The captain said it was the most sheephead he had seen caught this spring. By the way we had six guys fishing on the boat so not even close to a limit. I can't complain about our results based on wind change mid morning and cold front on Friday night.

Doug

Whos_Yer Daddy Guest

Saturday afternoon

2 man limit of perch between Marblehead and East Harbor. 25 fow. Lots of spawned out females and tons of white bass.

Good Luck All !!!

Default what the heck is it

saturday 1 walleye 2 smally one 19 inch 5 pounder. 6-8 sheephead and few white perch. sunday no walleye 1 smallmouth i sheephead we jiged mostly on saturday with minnows without minnows with worms. today i tried weapons jigs bladebaits with minnows and worms nothing we fished around turtle reef crane creek area was told they did better in bay but buddys went there today got skunked 5 boats out today 2 walleye between them very sad but better then being home with the heater on.question the one smallmouth the big one had black spots on it they were the size of say a nickle but were not round they were all different shapes i was not sure if it was a smallmouth the other ones did not have no spots any body ever got one with black spots let me know it was a female with eggs coming out. anybody doing better in the bay around the humps last saturday we got a 3 man limlit in a hour and a half

walleyewacker Guest

Fished staright out of Wild Wings today, about 1.5 to 2 miles 16 to 20 feet of water. Very slow for us. We managed 6 between 2 of us. I am thinking the fish are in the transistion right now. None of the males we caught today were milking unlike last weekend when they all were, if that means anything. Tried bouncers this am when there was a little drift, only white perch. Been a tough spring with the weather this year.

Whos yer daddy- Any size to the perch over that way?

Whos_Yer Daddy Guest

Wacker..

The last 2 weekends just about all fish averaged 10-13 " . Only threw a handfull back.All good solid fish with few eggs. Will be out there next weekend too. Look for the olive orab 18" tracker grizzley...lol

hope this helps and good luck

Default Pearch

Quote Originally Posted by Whos_Yer Daddy View Post
    Wacker..

The last 2 weekends just about all fish averaged 10-13 " . Only threw a handfull back.All good solid fish with few eggs. Will be out there next weekend too. Look for the olive orab 18" tracker grizzley...lol

hope this helps and good luck
    What were you useing? Spreaders & minnows?

Fished Saturday out of Toledo Beach picked up 6 walleye and a bunch of white bass. Got all of the fish trolling-was a slow day. Hoping that in the next week or two it really turns on. Biggest 5.5 lbs all fish over 20 inches.

Whos_Yer Daddy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    What were you useing? Spreaders & minnows?

True Blue....

We were using crappie rigs and the smallest minnows possible in the bucket. For some reason they didnt want the big ones. only the sheephead and white bass did...LOL. I moved the wires down on the line so the bottom hook ( size 6 ) was just about enen with the sinked on the bottom. That is the hook most of the fish were biting on. As the current in the lake picked up, we also had to bump up the weight from 1/2 oz to 1 1/2 oz to keep it on the bottom.

Hope this helps and best of luck to ya !!!

See you all next weekend !!

waterdog Guest

Default Sat/Sun May 2-3

Tuff weekend! I caught one walleye 18"
    and one big sheephead on Saturday just off camp perry.

On Sunday I caught another big sheephead just off camp perrry.
    I caught 2 18" small mouth bass off niagara reef using a purple jig tipped with a minnow and a stinger hook. I turned the small mouth lose so you can catch them too!

I was using everything I could think of to catch the walleye, but it must of been just one of those weekends.