New linecounter reels New linecounter reels New linecounter reels New linecounter reels
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New linecounter reels

Searching for couple new trolling reels for the upcoming season. Bought 4 okumas from cabelas last spring and after approximately 15 trips, 2 of them started giving me fits. I couldn't get them to release or lock without manually turning them back and forth with my thumb until they would function. Very disappointed with them. I bought the okumas because I use their large arbor fly reels for steelhead in the tributaries and have got over 12 seasons on them and no problems. Wow, what a bummer! So, I guess onward and upward. Would like opinions. Want to stay in the 100 dollar range or so for each. Thanks for any input and good luck to all, stay safe my friends.

I have the same problem with the Cabela's Depthmaster reels. If there is any tension on the line (so any time I'm running divers) you have to roll the spool back with your thumb before you can open the bail. It's a major pain in the butt when you're running big boards and have to constantly let out more line.

I also have some Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500LC reels that I love. I know everyone swears by Tekotas, but I think the Ambassadeur is smoother. The only thing I don't like on them is the line counter will stick and sometimes you have to reset them a second time to get them rolling, but they're easy to let out and they have a clicker on them in case you want to turn the drag up and open-bail troll with them. They can be found for around $120-130 each. The 5500LC is probably plenty for any trolling you're going to do in the Western Basin and they're around $10 less per reel, plus you save on line when you respool them.

Don't know if you use eBay a lot mad eyes they got some really good deals on line counter reels guess it'd be worth a look huh?? Lot of them in the 60 to $80 range

i have 2 of the abu's and 2 tekota 500. i love both but lean more towards the tekotas. just spend the money and you wont be disappointed. go tekotas

I’ve had good luck with the Bass pro Stratamaxx. I think they run about 60.00. I’ve had 2 for 3 years now using on Erie and no issues at all.

Which Okuma did you have issues with, the black model? I have two of the black models and one does the same as you described. I would however highly recommend the Okuma Cold Water, I have 7 with no problems, yet. I also notice a lot of the Cold Waters on the charter boats in the marina. Just my 2 cents.
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

Dave, the reels were the magda series, they had them on sale and I bit on the price. Should have went for the cold water series and been happier.

Thanks for the other options guys, I'm very curious about the stratomaxx tabBiser. I'll be doing some research on those as well as the tekotas.

daiwas...the ones that cost around 105.00 ea...you'll never have a problem with them.

I too am wondering which model you are having issue with. There are a lot of cold water waters on the eye hunter boats as well as a lot of othet professional charters and I don't recall hearing of this issue on our boats yet.

I have used the cheaper madga pro for 3 years on my personal boat with no issues. If you bought the new last year I forget what the warranty period was/is but you might give okuma a call, maybe they can point you to a cause and repair for your issue

fishusa.com has the cold waters from the 15 to 45 series for 105 each now. And after using both there is a big difference between the cold water and madga pro
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 03-09-2018 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Typo
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters