shallow vs. deep divers?? shallow vs. deep divers?? shallow vs. deep divers?? shallow vs. deep divers??

Default shallow vs. deep divers??

I notice many of the fishing reports on here give excellent information regarding methods to get
    stick baits to get down to the right depth. My experience is primarily in Erie area where we are targeting fish from 45 to 80 feet down. My question is, do you all use deep divers or shallow divers? Many reports indicate use of deep divers and in line weights. It would seem to be a whole lot easier to calculate depth of lure (when using weights) if shallow divers were used rather than trying to include the diving capabilities of a stick bait and an inline weight, in relatively shallow water. If you can easily attain 25 to 27 ft. wiith out weight why use weight? What am I missing? Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I am planning on doing a lot more fishing in western basin this year.
    Grady White 208 Adventure
    200 Yamaha & 9.9 Yamaha
    Garmin 741xs plotter and finder with CHIRP
    Autopilot
    ITroll with hunt mode

Contrary to the Bandit package, I don't know anyone who can get one of those to 27 feet without weight or some kind of diver.... Given the depths you mentioned, you must be east of us in the deeper water. Where I'm at, not usually fishing water any deeper than 50', but walleyes not usually under 35' or so.... Anyway, I will put a 2 oz. inline weight at the top of the leader to get them down more. Also, I'll run shallow lip cranks behind #40 Tru-Trips - easily take bait down to 36'. The #50 TT's will take you even further down, but you have to have the right boards to pull them - boards that really pull hard.

If I had I had to sum it all up - we fish the islands area all season long.... and there are walleye there all season long. Rarely will you have to get baits down below 30'. I prefer Tru-Trips over weights because of consistency of dive regardless of speed, and they won't hit the bottom if I need to turn hard or slow way down....actually get a great deal of reaction strikes going into a hard turn because the inside baits start to rise when you get them real slow..

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Capt Eric; 03-08-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Felt like editing!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

I prefer shallow diving baits and using weights. I can carry 4 weights from each size 1/4 oz to 4 oz all in one little box. I have another box with the weights upto 10 oz.
    Verses my giant bag of jet divers. I let out less than half the line typically for the same depth when compared to jets. I never bought tru trips as I just don't care to run them much. I made my jets release and easier than tru trips. Years before tru trips came out. I'm as lasy as I can be if I can still take fish and use alot less line out. Here in MI we run 3 rods per person.
    I do not use snap weights unless we are fishing in 3+ fters to take some of the rise/drop away from the baits.
    BUT! there are days where mini divers out fish everything, same for jets etc. But when I have a choice (being most days)I use weights. Same weights for harnesses,spoons,cranks. Once you learn where the weights run, you are set. Just like learning every other technique out there.

Most of the charter guys who troll run tru trips. But they typically run big boards.
    Last edited by ebijack; 03-09-2018 at 03:46 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Hey guys. As I am new to walleye trolling... I would like to ask about these lures my buddy gave me. Some are Big Macs and little macs and rebel arrowheads, bagley bang O’s , hot and tots and luhr Jenson krocodiles and large spoons. Should I keep any of these? From my very little experience I know that p10’s, bandits, and small scorpion spoons have worked. I just don’t want to have a lot of junk in the boat. Let me know what still works as he hasn’t fished for Walleye’s in many many years. Thanks. shallow vs. deep divers??-1111e59d-0c1b-4287-8dbb-6460c42b7bd1-jpg

The 3 you mentioned are ones to keep. I would keep the hotntots as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EYEFISH4FOOD View Post
    Hey guys. As I am new to walleye trolling... I would like to ask about these lures my buddy gave me. Some are Big Macs and little macs and rebel arrowheads, bagley bang O’s , hot and tots and luhr Jenson krocodiles and large spoons. Should I keep any of these? From my very little experience I know that p10’s, bandits, and small scorpion spoons have worked. I just don’t want to have a lot of junk in the boat. Let me know what still works as he hasn’t fished for Walleye’s in many many years. Thanks. shallow vs. deep divers??-1111e59d-0c1b-4287-8dbb-6460c42b7bd1-jpg
    Keep them all! Free baits are the best baits, and the hardest ones to find!!! On day's when the catching is slow - throw out something they've never seen before. You'd be surprised what we've caught on after a school gets tired of seeing Bandit after Bandit get pulled by.....
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing