Open or Hard Top Open or Hard Top Open or Hard Top Open or Hard Top
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Relax...it was just a joke. Just cutting up some...

And to be honest....we pretty much said the same thing! Like I said....Erie only would be one choice but if fishing multiple areas then I'd lean to Ranger style. It's really about how you'll "think" you'll use it. I know in the past I've made the mistake of "thinking" I'll use the boat one way but never did. Purchasing a walleye style boat but found myself fishing Erie only...thus making the wrong decision for me and how I was using the boat at the time.
    Eriegardless Sportfishing

Offering charters for up to 6 people on a 28' Carolina Classic and 1-3 person charters on a 2021 Starcraft Fishmaster

419-702-0589

Eriegardless Sportfishing - Website
    Eriegardless Sportfishing - Facebook
    Eriegardless Custom Lures

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments. I cant believe this decision is so difficult. I only want to buy one more boat in my life and it seems impossible to make up my mind.

It's not an easy decision and you'll happier in the end that you are putting in your homework now.

Tell us how you "think" you'll use it? I say "think" cause I've found that how I thought I was going to use it was not necessarily the case. For me now, it's easier....Erie Only!
    Eriegardless Sportfishing

Offering charters for up to 6 people on a 28' Carolina Classic and 1-3 person charters on a 2021 Starcraft Fishmaster

419-702-0589

Eriegardless Sportfishing - Website
    Eriegardless Sportfishing - Facebook
    Eriegardless Custom Lures

Blog Entries

This will most likely be an Erie only boat. I still plan on trailering it home every time, and I like to have the option of going somewhere else if I decide. Either boat will trailer fine, but not sure how the parker would do on smaller bodies of water if I rarely decide to go.

Oh...thats tough. Now I feel your struggle. I've been there...exactly there.

In the past I thought that I may use it somewhere else but never really did. I trailered it like you are thinking. Now I just leave the boat at Erie year round and love it.

You'll really need to figure out how you really will use it. That should lead you to your answer.

Have you fished Erie before?

Blog Entries

Oh yea, I fish Erie like a mad man! Mostly west of the islands, around the cans, & just west of sister. I also fish Erie in PA too, but that is a trailer day.

A couple things I did not see anyone mention. Towing a hardtop uses ALOT more gas. You have to be more aware of bridge heights/low hanging trees etc if you plan on towing to inland/other waters.
    Most, troll with the wind. Which in bad weather a HT helps the driver/front seat passenger most times. But everyone else is still in the "sh*t when trolling. And if you are fishing, you are going to get wet in nasty weather. And once the cabin gets full of bugs. The bugs don't blow out like only having a windshield.
    IMO, long runs in a Ranger are more comfortable than in a larger/longer HT boat.
    I will say loading a 621 on the trailer is one of the hardest multispecies boats I have ever had to load at some ramps. Comparing similar length/rigged boats. A 23ft HT Sportcraft is a tad easier to load. Most ramps are not bad. Use a steep ramp like Elizabeth park on the Detroit river. You best know what you need to do to get one on the trailer.
    BUT, a HT you typically get a bathroom. That can be the biggest plus to some if you know what I mean. Using a livewell/baitwell doesn't cut it for alot of folks.
    The OP didn't mention/compare using a bimini top.
    So do you require a bathroom. Question answered for most.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

i really enjoy my 23 excel! it has the best of both worlds. open top if i would like it be (which i don't i always have the bimini top up because that sun will crush your soul some days!) and i get a cabin for storage and has a head. it's mostly a fishing boat but has a few amenities that i like. i can trailer anywhere without worrying about height or crushing a lot of gas. maybe you should think about getting a "hybrid" boat. you can find some that have the best of both worlds. something to chew on maybe.

Good points have been brought up, my wife had some of the same concerns. So I addressed her concerns. Plus ain’t no one dropping one in my livewell. No need to overthink these things, IMO!
    Attached Images Attached Images Open or Hard Top-9b6e3495-4def-40bd-b87a-65c00cee4fab-jpg 

If I needed to make sure my wife and daughter had a place to go potty to make it so they could and would go out fishing with me I would make sure it happened.

Nothing like family time out on the waters of lake Erie pulling in eyes, perch, or anything else that comes along. Those are good times and memories right there. I would gladly give up some of the pluses on boat might to make that happen
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters