Open or Hard Top Open or Hard Top Open or Hard Top Open or Hard Top
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Open or Hard Top

I am looking to buy my next walleye boat. I am really struggling with the decision of going with a Hard Top or Open. I really like the Parker Sport Cabin and the Ranger FS621. I'm an outboard guy! I know they are worlds apart but I can not seem to pick one. One day I'm going with the Parker, the next I'm going with the Ranger.

Does anyone have any opinions or knowledge of the two boats pros and cons?

I am sure you'll get several different opinions on this one...but ultimately it's up to you and what fits you the best. My first question is how do plan on using the boat? Will it be a Lk. Erie "only" boat? Or will you be trailering to other lakes? Inland lakes? I've owned several boats and if I asked myself that same question...is it a Lk Erie only boat...and the answer is yes! Then there would NOT be a question for me. Hard Top Parker hands down over a Ranger. Now, if there is any chance it may be used elsewhere...then I could start to lean towards the Ranger.

I am sure there will be several that will disagree with me here but just my opinion and personal experience. I've owned open style walleye boats...not a boat for me on Erie.
    Last edited by Eriegardless; 03-01-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    Eriegardless Sportfishing

Offering charters for up to 6 people on a 28' Carolina Classic and 1-3 person charters on a 2021 Starcraft Fishmaster

419-702-0589

Eriegardless Sportfishing - Website
    Eriegardless Sportfishing - Facebook
    Eriegardless Custom Lures

I like hard tops, or at least enclosures. It's nice to stay dry when rough water or rain, stay out of the wind when cold in early or late season, a lot of parkers have full enclosure so they can help keep the bugs out of those days too. But I'm sure the enclosure will be warm. One down fall to hardtops can be clearance issue under some bridges.
    Hard top make great mounts for rod holders, radar, big board motors or reels, lights, etc
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Quote Originally Posted by Eriegardless View Post
    I am sure you'll get several different opinions on this one...but ultimately it's up to you and what fits you the best. My first question is how do plan on using the boat? Will it be a Lk. Erie "only" boat? Or will you be trailering to other lakes? Inland lakes? I've owned several boats and if I asked myself that same question...is it a Lk Erie only boat...and the answer is yes! Then there would NOT be a question for me. Hard Top Parker hands down over a Ranger. Now, if there is any chance it may be used elsewhere...then I could start to lean towards the Ranger.

I am sure there will be several that will disagree with me here but just my opinion and personal experience. I've owned open style walleye boats...not a boat for me on Erie.
    ^^^^^ Exactly what he said, and i'd be sure to try to get out in each model, before i committed and pulled the trigger. I love my hard-top, but it stays on Lake Erie, too.

The only thing the Parker will do better than the 621 is offering you a cabin and a head. The 621 will fish circles around the Parker, but it is a hardcore fishing machine. I usually fish 2-3 people and it is almost effortless in the 621. It is built for one thing, no compromise big water fishing, and it delivers. My wife would have taken the Parker, but she absolutely loves the Ranger now she has fished from it. Mine has IPilot and Lowrance Outboard pilot, all I have to do all day is launch,retrieve and reel. Don’t underestimate the speed, I find myself much more willing to make those lung runs to get to the fish. Never thought I needed 60 mph, but I sure do now. It has an unbelievable dry ride, much better than my Grady White. It isn’t G/W quality, but it is a solid built boat.
    Good luck in your search,
    Gradyfish

So a 621 will catch more fish? Didn't know the fish had a brand of boat they would rather get caught by. Hahaha

Sorry...had too...lolol

Been fishing Lake Erie for 40 years, hardtop all the way!!

Guess some guys can’t respect an opinion that isn’t the same as theirs. And for the record I never said it would catch more fish, you did.

Sorry but I had too also...Lol

Grady

Quote Originally Posted by Gradyfish View Post
    Guess some guys can’t respect an opinion that isn’t the same as theirs. And for the record I never said it would catch more fish, you did.

Sorry but I had too also...Lol

Grady
    Wow....it was not a knock at your opinion...it was a joke because your boat will fish circles around most of us.

And so you know...just in case you didn't read my first post..."who" acknowledged the fact there will be opinions? "who" even said there will be several that will disagree with my opinion...it isn't a slam at your boat. Your boat is your choice...not mine...not any one else's.
    Last edited by Eriegardless; 03-01-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Eriegardless Sportfishing

Offering charters for up to 6 people on a 28' Carolina Classic and 1-3 person charters on a 2021 Starcraft Fishmaster

419-702-0589

Eriegardless Sportfishing - Website
    Eriegardless Sportfishing - Facebook
    Eriegardless Custom Lures

What I meant by “fishing circles around” was its ability to troll, maneuverability around the reefs and humps for jigging, the ability to fish the D river for walleye and musky jigging, the ability to run to Pelee and smallmouth fish. The OP never specified trolling only. These are the reasons multi-species boats are so popular. If all I did was troll the open water than my choice might be different.
    I am fine with joking, but implying that I said my boat catches more fish rubbed me wrong. I was also trying to give the OP a honest opinion.

Grady