spring fishing spring fishing spring fishing spring fishing
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: spring fishing

Another question! I know that the pre spawn will more than likely be in march. I have heard of people fishing somewhere around the island and catching some hogs but that it about all I know. I am not sure if the fish on the east side of put n bay area. I do know that the are trolling slow. Just not sure where or what is in the area for this to fish around in that pre spawn. If for some reason the jigging isnt going my way around the reefs, Id like to have a back up plan and if I could figure out or get an idea where you guys fish around over by the islands in march during the pre span. Im not asking for your hot spots just the general area or reasoning why for the spots. Thank you!

West Side of Put N bay. didnt mean to put east side. I do know some people fish around kellys on the shoals but that is a little far run for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vanatta22 View Post
    Another question! I know that the pre spawn will more than likely be in march. I have heard of people fishing somewhere around the island and catching some hogs but that it about all I know. I am not sure if the fish on the east side of put n bay area. I do know that the are trolling slow. Just not sure where or what is in the area for this to fish around in that pre spawn. If for some reason the jigging isnt going my way around the reefs, Id like to have a back up plan and if I could figure out or get an idea where you guys fish around over by the islands in march during the pre span. Im not asking for your hot spots just the general area or reasoning why for the spots. Thank you!
    this is going to be my first spring fishing so i'm learning as well. i'll be up there first time the weather permits but have a 3 day trip planned for april. going out of the same area. i'm hoping to learn a little bit before my trip in april on some trips in march. i'm all ready for the weather to break and get things going this season. i stopped by Capt. Eric and DJ's booth in columbus and they helped me out quite a bit in just the five to ten mins i got to talk to them. i'm all about trying to help one another out and trying to fish with partners to get on some fish. good luck this year. feel free to throw me a message and let me know how you're doing. i will do the same.

I just want to clarify where the jig fishing will be. I dock in West Harbor, and don't want to go over to the reef area as my 17ft Whaler is a rough rider. Can I jig on American Eagle and get some fish or is everything by Kellys and West of Put in Bay going to be trolling. Just looking for any areas I can catch some walleye relatively close to the safety of West Harbor in April!.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

LD, I would imagine walleye will spawn on just about any reef. The areas in front of Davis Beese is just overly loaded, hince why it gets most of the attention. I know they can be had trolling in the area you talking about, AE, Scotts point, f can, Clinton reef. You can always trailer you boat to the other areas so it's not a farther drive, but glad you respect the limits of your vessel.

Last spring end of April early may we were trolling in front the moose, and the rock wall just east of Port Clinton. Kellies on the sw to nw side should also hold fish. As the fish move back east after spawning, the areas you mention will be on fire.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 02-19-2018 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Typo
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

Jig short reef and mouse island early... you'll find some there. Late March, early April we were trolling just above American Eagle and Scott Point Shoal, up to Starve Is. Reef... some days right in the ferry lanes to South Bass. A vast majority of the 'lake spawners' head to the reef complex down west, but there's always a few stragglers ... or maybe they just get lost!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

With these jigs, do I use the twister tails like I have used on the Maumee river walleye run? I thought I read that sometimes the jigs are tipped with shiners like you do with ice fishing?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

I don't know why but everyone seems to think you need the hair jig. IT'S FLAT LIKE PENNY SIZE and has hair. I like regular 3/8 led and a salt and pepper tube skirt. Good for smallmouth also. My guess is probably twisters would work, but I have never tried floaters. Think I'll try that this year. Good luck which ever way you go.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

I fished from. Catawaba to the south east corner of kellies, the frist week of April last spring, and between the islands. Caught fish in all areas . All of the fish I caught where post spawn, trolling at , 1.0 to 1.3 mph , with bandits, and reefrunners. I did better in the clearer water between the islands, but still had them towards the cans. Seemed to me the bite picked up late in the day as the water temps rose . Humble bee, wonderbread , chartreuse, solid colors did better in the dingy water, chromes did better in the clearer water. On my way in 3 weeks. Good luck to all, be safe out there!

I have jigged them a few times and love it. Its the only time I consistently get good bite and great fight from the walleyes. Even better than drifting during Summer. They really hit like bullets and fight hard the whole time during the Spring jig bite.
    Rickerd