spring fishing spring fishing spring fishing spring fishing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spring fishing

Default spring fishing

i was starting to plan my spring trip today. i want to troll the reefs around besse. should i be trolling or jigging come mid march through april? i usually launch out of CSP but want to get a little closer to the reefs this spring. what are some of the ramps out there that i can use? also looking for safe hotels where you don't have to worry about bringing in your gear every night. thanks in advance fellow fisherman.

slow trolling will get the bigger fish cone reef D can good areas that time of year lots of fish to be caught jigging i would plan on doing both mid april would be a good time hopefully weather will be decent by then magee east rents trailers you can check there website out i dock there in april never heard of any problems

I would agree on planning on both. There are days jigging can you your 4 fish in under an hr. But these are normally you males in 4lb and under range. Slow trolling the reefs, the can's, near the monument, West side of kellies, all produce big trophies. Normally above 15ft of depth. Don't be afraid to even put out in the top 3 to 5 ft. Bandits, p10s, dhjs, reef runners all work good

This coming spring should present with some fantastic fishing,with the plentiful 2015 hatch being legal size.Those fish should be around 19" then.If we get any stable weather,you should be able to jig up your 4 fish limit in less than 2hrs.I remember the first spring the 2003 hatch was of legal size.After a week of stable weather and good water clarity,caught our 3man limit in around 90min jigging and another limit after 3hrs that we put back.A friend said he caught 30 fish himself in 90min the day before.I expect the fishing to be close to the 2003 hatch,except the 2014 hatch was also pretty good and we should be catching some of those fish too,this spring.

Depending on how you like to fish,is what I recommend you do.Alot of people will jig fish till close to limit,then ride out to deeper water to finish limit with bigger fish.There will be a lot of boats going out of turtle creek,which is close to early season jigging location.Back in 2006,when all those 2003 hatch were caught,Heard that ODNR fined a lot of guys for over limit and double dipping.Im sure this will happen again this spring,and I have heard they now use a drone to help with catching the illegal poaching.This spring should bring some exceptional walleye fishing.

thanks for all the input fellas. west of kelly's is american eagle if i remember right. i had some good days out there last june. i'm looking for pigs this year but i guess i'll just gas up the boat and head out of csp if turtle is a mad house. it's not too long of a ride over to k can and that reef complex. thanks for all the info. can't wait till spring. i'm starting to get cabin fever over here!!

I myself am kinda in the same situation as Reel_Deal. I have been fishing out of turtle creek for over ten years. I normally have never made it up until late may or june. At that point i have either drifted worm harness or trolled lures at normal speed. This year I am going to try to get up there and hit the early spring. I am not sure to try slow troll around the reels or shoot over to the islands and troll. Ill probably troll before i jig mainly because im not use to it. Would I be able to pick them up slow trolling around the reefs and cans? Last years bite was unreal. Each trip out id say we pick up 50+ while picking through all the shorts to get my limits.

The cans and reefs produce well normally. Coming from where you are I would try the reefs b4 going over to cans. Large females can be had up high, late April early May you actually troll you deep divers bouncing off the bottom or just above it and get good limits too.

Even though the slow troll is similar to summer trolling, there is a few differences beyound just speeds and leads. The way the fish are targeted, triggered, and handled are different. A lot can be learned in a trip or two with some of the top charters.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 02-11-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Typo

march through early april the jig bite can be amazing at times. by the middle of april the trolling will be hot. but you can find fish trolling in late march. the fishing is going to be nothing short of amazing this yr. the 15 hatch was huge and there all going to be legal with fish being around 20"+. the 16 hatch which was huge and just under legal last yr are going to be 16" to 18" and all legal.

I know that spring sounds like the time to be fishing but I was wondering if mid March is too early? I know that it comes down to if the ice is melted and if it is? would trying to get out be worth a shot. ill be going out of turtle creek. If ice is melted.... will the fish be on the reefs or where else to try? Cabin fever is getting to me and I am ready to get the boat out! Mid March is my spring break and I plan to be on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by vanatta22 View Post
    I know that spring sounds like the time to be fishing but I was wondering if mid March is too early? I know that it comes down to if the ice is melted and if it is? would trying to get out be worth a shot. ill be going out of turtle creek. If ice is melted.... will the fish be on the reefs or where else to try? Cabin fever is getting to me and I am ready to get the boat out! Mid March is my spring break and I plan to be on the water!

The fish don't know what month or day it is. They are driven by their instincts. They sense water temps, moon phases, and other environmental factors. And when these things happen they do somewhat predictable behaviors and patterns.

A great number walleye spend most of the winter in eastern side of the wesyern basin and the western side of the central basin most of the winter feeding. As water temps rise the walleye population west of kellies island explodes in the spring. The odds are in the fisherman's favor.

But remember in the early spawn most of the fish caught jigging are not caught because they are feeding, the walleye are protecting it's turf from anything in it. I know some ppl tip their jigs with minors and some dont. Fish are had each way. I feel the shiner just gives the fish a bigger target

As later April early May rolls around the males start more feeding.

Look for water temps getting near 40s to start to trigger spawning activities. But fish can be had a colder temps. I'm sure the fish are staging up as we are all waiting for the ice to melt. Fish should be able to had from vermillion west as soon as the ice allows. It's just finding some looking for a snack.

I'm just as ready as all to get out and see some trophies come aboard.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 02-18-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Typo
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters