Best fish finder/chart plotter for under 00 Best fish finder/chart plotter for under 00 Best fish finder/chart plotter for under 00 Best fish finder/chart plotter for under 00

Default Best fish finder/chart plotter for under $1000

Hello all,
    I currently have a 2000 Pursuit Denali 2860 and I believe it still has the original Furuno fish finder and Lowrance GPS. I'd really like to upgrade my electronics without breaking the bank. I'm docked in West Harbor so I mainly fish the western basin. We do some drifting, some trolling and some perch fishing.

I'd like to buy a new multi-function unit and I have a budget of no more than $1000.

What would you buy if you were in my shoes?

Thank you very much for reading my post.

Rob

Not sure if you are interested. I've been using one of these for quite a few years on P1's boat (Frank). He lives/fishes Saginawbay. He has military grade chart plotters or tablets he upgrades for GPS on your boat. He is selling a few more right now. https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/f...trails.588115/
    His add on Michigan sportsman. Not sure the links would work for you or not.
    Chartplotters 10"+ and 13"+ $350 and $400 both Touchscreens. These can be loaded with charts and chart software at your request. These come with GPS, DC charger, and AC charger. Nothing like using a big screen on the Great Lakes. PM if interested. Click on links to view pics.
    http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...tablet.117315/
    http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...blet-2.117314/
    http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...lotter.117313/
    http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo...tter-2.117312/

If interested, pm me and I will give you his number. Super nice guy. Great units. They wouldn't fit the console in my 18' boat or I would have had one years ago. He only builds a few a year and adds what ever GPS programs you want to use. They are "water proof"/sealed toughbooks.

Then just buy a fish finder or keep what you have.
    Best fish finder/chart plotter for under 00-tough-book-p1-jpg
    Last edited by ebijack; 02-01-2018 at 05:48 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I guess the first think to answer is do you need networking or not.......if not you can stay away from the super high end models cause you will be paying for a lot of things you don't need.

Stepping up to anything over 12" new will go over that tag. Do you want only touch screen, no touch screen

I'm only really familar with the lowrance/navco families you can get an has 9 gen 3 from like 1100 has both touch and button, but for most of us a lot of stuff we don't need.......the elite ti 9 is like 850 but if only full touch screen. The new hook 9 is 700 range. Looks a lot like the older hook models.......but get rid of the very huge almost 1" plug that requires a larger and 1" hoke to be drill through the boat then filled.

Then you need to figure out what you need from your tranducer, again you could pay a lot for things you don't need and won't use.

And they don't all perform the same.

https://youtu.be/klwhx0SndJQ

Here is video that explains a lot about sonar.......it is long, he does ramble a bit, but a lot of great info that most don't know all of it....I sure didnt....so grab a few drinks and plug in cause it is 2 hrs long

https://youtu.be/2Q9izOwp1aU
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 02-01-2018 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Typo

I'd suggest a Lowrance Elite TI or Hook, as Ben suggested. Being that you're in a big boat, and fishing Erie, I don't see the need for any sidescan. I have Sidescan/Structurescan on my boat and never use it on Erie. Maybe if I was up close and personal with the reefs I would use it more?
    Even downscan imaging is not really necessary, not like we have a lot of submerged trees, etc.
    Downscan seems to be standard on some of the nice Lowrance units - I will admit I'm partial to Lowrance since that's what most of my experience is with.

That being said, you could go with the Elite 7 TI with downscan for $700 LIST PRICE from Cabelas - I'm sure you can find it on sale somewhere. If you want a larger screen, you can go with the Elite 9 TI - and it might leave you with a little extra budget to pick up an enhanced map card for better charts.

Also, Ben mentioned networking - which it doesn't really sound like you will need so you could go with the Lowrance Hook series. Here's the Hook 9" screen with Navionics + map card, and downscan imaging, for $770 LIST price. Again, I'm sure you can shop around for a better deal but that would get you good functionality.
    Lowrance Hook 9

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I don't need networking, so I think I'll be checking out the Hook 9 inch. I like the idea of a 9 over a 7 in. for sure. I was also wondering about the side imaging and it sounds like I really don't need that. I think the hardest part is really understanding what features that I will use and what I won't use.

I have definitely seen that the transducer can significantly impact the price. I currently have a thru hull and I see that the MFD's in my price range all come with transom mount transducers. I'd prefer a thru hull but probably can't afford one right now. I suppose I could go with a transom mount for now and then upgrade to a thru hull when/if I want to.

I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with the new Simrad units, specifically the GO XSE units. It looks like the GO7 XSE is well within my price range and the GO9 XSE is just out of it. Those are prices from the Simrad website so I might be able to find better.

Thanks again guys. I'm fairly new to all of this so I appreciate you taking the time to educate me.

I was reading some reviews recently and saw that the Simrad GO XSE units are very similar to the Lowrance units, not sure if there's a good reason to go with one or the other. Both companies are owned by Navico.

I just purchased a go7 for my 19fter seeing I don't get a lot of the time to do personal fish during the summer due to working......all my own fishing is done in the fall.

I wanted to get an elite 7ti seeing it used the same mount and transducer plug as my hook5 on my 27ft bow rider, so it could do double duty. But found a go7 with total scan for only 400.

Menu is very similar to the 7ti but haven't been on the water yet. Not sure the side image will work for me........but might on the shore line fall bite.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 02-02-2018 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Typo