Drift sock / bag advise Drift sock / bag advise Drift sock / bag advise Drift sock / bag advise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drift sock / bag advise

been lurking in the back ground reading all the good info thanks i need a couple new drift socks for jig season boat is a 27 sportcraft any suggestions

Amish Beefy Bags. Hard to beat....made to last! I got a Sportcraft 252, and i run two 28"....LOVE MINE. You can contact Frank @ http://www.amishoutfitters.com/beefybags.htm, and he'll tell you exactly what size to get.

I use Cabelas the biggest one they make. I run them on my 30 footer. I use the biggest they have and seldom use a second bag.

I have had the discussion with several people I fish with, and since I am rarely driving,may not be the best to comment on.Does using just one bag, or using different size bags affect your ability to control the boat? One guy I fish with often uses one big bag and another will take one bag out of water if going into wind.Still another stubborn older captain insists that you have to run two bags of the same size to maintain a straight course while trolling.I would think,the slower you go the less the affect the single bag will have on the control.

looking for the bags you use to slow down your drift when jigging i second amish outfitter bags for trolling thanks Brian will look into

for drifting i'd spend the money to get a larger bag for high winds then a smaller bag when not so windy. I've used 1 big bag tied in the middle then I've used a small bag on the rear and the big bag up front. for trolling its best to get trolling bags and not drift socks. if you plan on doing both get trolling bags. i have a 36" and a 30" bag on my boat and haven't had any problems running them while trolling. and on calmer days I've just used 1 bag with no problems with boat control. but i have a smaller boat, its 21'.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLY JOE View Post
    looking for the bags you use to slow down your drift when jigging i second amish outfitter bags for trolling thanks Brian will look into
    I use mine for jig/drift fishing, more so then trolling, as i use a 9.9 high thrust kicker when trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLY JOE View Post
    been lurking in the back ground reading all the good info thanks i need a couple new drift socks for jig season boat is a 27 sportcraft any suggestions
    Is that 27' an inboard, or I/O ?
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Running trolling bags can definitely affect boat control. I have a 32' twin inboard. I know, not your ideal fishing boat but thats what I have. For trolling I run only one engine and put a 42" Beefy bag on the same side as the engine that is running. I have fairly good control with this setup and can get my speed down to about 1.5 mph. I started out with a smaller 28" bag and I had no control. I could only turn one direction! Not good! Contacted Amish Outfitters and they traded out for the larger bag.

The Cabelas pro series drift socks USED to be very high quality, but like everything the new ones are much thinner material and cheaper made. I know this because I had two of them and lost one last year, when I ordered a replacement I was very disappointed. I returned it and got lucky and found an old style in their bargain cave. I also have Amish outfitter bags for trolling. My opinion, trolling bags for trolling, drift socks for drifting, they are not the same. Drift socks with weighted Bottoms and floating tops self deploy, just throw out an forget. I put mine out back, I don’t like drifting sideways, I can use both sides of the boat and don’t have to fish around the bags. I keep a big one for windy days and a smaller one for light wind days. From my finding I get away with less bag drifting straight rather than sideways, less area exposed to the wind.