JETS & TRU-TRIP 40's JETS & TRU-TRIP 40's JETS & TRU-TRIP 40's JETS & TRU-TRIP 40's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default JETS & TRU-TRIP 40's

I just need some clarification on just what can be pulled with them. I just normally use them for spoons and harnesses. Having 6 or more lines out and pulling spoons and things just not happening I would like to change one
    to a stick or crank to see if that could be working. I'm sure the DHJ's, Bay Rats, and Bandits would be out because their actions. I have plenty of floaters and shallow lures and use them off of dipsys. TT's say up to 1 oz. and Jets say up to a Kwikfish 15 (what ever that is).

Gene

Any floater/shallow diving crankbait works well. Med to deep diving baits pull against the jet and change the jet dive curve/depth or blow out due to speeds and resistance. If that makes sense.
    Kwikfish shake/vibrate more than most other baits. They work pretty well for handlining. I never had much luck out on the big lakes trolling with them. Been around for a long time.
    https://www.fishusa.com/product/Luhr...Lures--Size-9X
    Are you having a problem running 6 or more lines?
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Just like what ebijack said, shallow diving cranks/sticks will pull fine behind #40 Tru-Trips. It's all about how much pull the lure puts on the diver. I've even pulled Rattle Tots behind #40 TT's, but they will blow the diver out above about 1.8 kts.. you'll start to see the divers rolling over and coming to the surface, tangling together if not spaced out far enough, etc...
    I have easily pulled (and caught well!) :
    shallow bandits
    all shallow husky jerks, 10's and 12's are my favorite
    short-lipped bombers
    suspending pro-rogues
    P-10's
    Ripplin' Redfin's
    and so many more I don't even remember what they are!

HJ12's behind #40 Tru-Trips were about all I pulled through most of October last fall. We pulled a lot of limits in 3 hours or less that way! Simple rule - if the bait doesn't have much resistance in the water, the #40 TT can handle it. I even ran some Flicker Minnow's behind them, and at slower speeds they were fine.

But the million dollar questions is: if you have Tru-Trips, why do you still have Jets? Jet's make good Christmas Tree ornaments....
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Ebijack, thanks for the info it's just needed to know and not having to change from a jet to dipsy if it's slow day for spoons and harnesses and put out a crank just searching for what may be working. Running big boards and 3 lines a side only happens once in awhile, usually 2 off the boards and 1 dipsy per side.

Capt. Eric, thanks for the info. I have plenty of them usually pulled off the dipsy's but needed a little more info on the Jets and TT's.
    Why you ask as to having both Jets and TT's? Totally preference from a fishing partner so I keep them on board. Hell I had to through out the Jet 20's to get one partner change to the 40's.

Just for the record I often refer to us as "The Hospital Crew" and I am also the equipment manager so to speak and to keep up with the current cranks, rods and reels and so on.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Eric View Post
    But the million dollar questions is: if you have Tru-Trips, why do you still have Jets? Jet's make good Christmas Tree ornaments....
    I had multiple jets, I made them all releasable. Many many years before TT came out. No need to upgrade to TT.

I hung onto my old 40 Jets for a while after the #40 TT's came out.... but they just gathered dust! There are still a few guys down west of us that use the 40 Jets, they say they can't catch 'em on #40 TT's some days - I don't understand, I'll roll right along with them catching on the TT's. I'll take a 35' lead over a 55' lead any day!

Just for sake of experimenting, try running spoons or harnesses on one side, and put a couple shallow cranks behind TT's on the side. If you see one side dominating, switch the other side out. There's a lot of mornings I start out with all kinds of crazy stuff in the water!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    I had multiple jets, I made them all releasable. Many many years before TT came out. No need to upgrade to TT.
    I remember those days! We tried all kinds of homemade releases for them... they ended up working great! But there's still no comparison in the dive curves between Jets and TT's!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

I never found the curves to be even close on either. I ran my jets along with partners TT's. And mine would release much easier and consistent than the TT's.
    But that's me.

Having spent most of my life working I finally started to make changes to my life and added fishing to it and this was only a short time ago, what I know about fishing I learned on my own. I equipped my duck boat with Big Jon mast some Scotty rod holders chose Okuma for rods and reels. I still have those and equipped my current boat with the same exceptions only rod holders are Tite-lok. I have never changed my releases still the Off Shores. I never went in on the rubber bands, I try them now and then but find them sort of a pain. The diver issue has only become an issue only a few years age when TT's came out and had to get them through Dan. I was only using the 20's at that time. When I started this inline boards had not even really taken off here on the WB. As you see I don't change much. I did add 2 dedicated combo's for dipsy use and may try TT 50's I got them with the 2 combos for dipsys. Yes Okuma reels and Shakespeare rods. So I think it's time to change my hat from NEWBIE to EQUIPMENT MGR. But to this day I still consider myself as a NEWBIE, and the question(s) I may ask. Thanks guys for the helpful answers.

Ebijack, I have no intentions on acquiring any Kwikfish it seems quite funny I could not find any weight info on them and any place I have seen them were on tables at garage sales for 50 cents.

Capt. Eric, having the TT 50's is making me want to try them out and I'm pretty sure I cannot run them off the boards. Hey!!All I can say is "I hav'um".

Because of current health issues my boat partner has asked me to mark the boxes as to how to, with what, and when every thing should be used. I could only laugh.

Gene

Gene, if you use your tattle flags for what they were designed for. I believe you are missing out not using #32 rubberbands. Just a few seconds to adjust perfectly to any bait you are going to run. Springs can not be adjusted anywhere near as close. You can set each flag to move even with just a piece of grass dragging on a hook. Or tight enough, a 3 oz weight will not move that flag with a deep diving crank until a fish plays/takes the bait. This is from back early 2000's? Clip a small"V" where the top hole on each board is. That locks the rubberband into any amount of tension you set. Easy peasy.

$7 for 1lb bag. Enough for you and everyone you know for the next 10 yrs.
    Just look around, if in stock you can get nice size bags for $1
    Last edited by ebijack; 01-24-2018 at 05:58 AM.