Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Trolling with dipseys

Can somebody tell me what pound test for braided line when trolling with dipseys

Most will use 30# or 50# PowerPro. I have some reels that has 30# but it is a dedicated dipsy rod for walleye. I also have some reels with 50# that I use for walleye and salmon trolling. If only used for eyes...30# is sufficient.
    Eriegardless Sportfishing

Offering charters for up to 6 people on a 28' Carolina Classic and 1-3 person charters on a 2021 Starcraft Fishmaster

419-702-0589

Eriegardless Sportfishing - Website
    Eriegardless Sportfishing - Facebook
    Eriegardless Custom Lures

#30 PowerPro. Same line on my board rods, only different rods. 7' medium light board rods, 8' to 10' medium Dispy rods...
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Ditto on the 30# braid and my rods and reels are set up and dedicated to dipsy only.

Gene

Since we're 'kinda' on the Dipsy subject, I'll throw this out there.... Instead of Dipsy on the 0 setting, I've been running the #50 Tru-Trip. The dive curve is neck-and-neck with a #1 Dipsy w/ the ring - but they are far less "speed dependent" than the Dipsy's. If you slow the boat, or when you go into a turn, they don't drop way down like the Dipsy's will. Also, no need to run a snubber like the Dipsy. Without the weight of a Dipsy, we're not seeing near the number of lost fish like we were on Dipsy without a snubber - especially on spoons. Lastly - they're cheaper! I gotta save a buck anywhere I can!
    I'll run the #50 Tru-Trip, #1 Dispy on a 1.5 setting, and a 3 setting - if I'm running 3 rods off each back corner...most days it's only 2 rods, the #50 TT and a 1.5 setting Dipsy. And, if it's spoon season, 9 times out of 10 I'll only run the larger spoons (Stinger) on these rods. Mostly Scorpion spoons on the board rods.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Captain Eric, we have not been running a snubber with our dipsey,but have done pretty well catching.Would you recommend we add a snubber,and if so,what size?Did like your suggestion of using the TT50 instead of dipsey at 0 setting.We usually run two dipseys at a 3 setting and 4 inline boards with harnesses once water hits 50degrees and over.

It's amazing how many fish can be picked up right under the boat. More than once I have used my down rigger to fish directly from, just add a snubber and 6ft leader and either a j7 or j9 or spoon. Somewhat hard to read with smaller fish. But if your boat is equipped and you have the men but not the rods it's a quick way to put a few extra lines in. I normally run them just a few feet above the bottom.

On our 19fter we can run 6 inline, 2 dips and the down rigger, so I could get enough ppl on the boat I could run 12 lines at 1 one time.......that's never going to happen on a 19fter. But it's nice to have all the options cause some days 1 method seems to beat the others.

On my dips and downriggers i use as 12 inch snubber. Different color on each side just to clearly distinguish which one goes on each side quickly

to the OP of this thread...if your new to dipseys it may take awhile to get them to work...just keep messing with them, moving them up or down a few feet at a time till they start catching...the chart on the back of them is not accurate but it's in the ballpark...most times dipseys are run deep. not to say they won't work up higher...a good idea is to write down how far back is working at a certain depth...example 38 ft. back in 20 fow...it's easy to forget when working different depths...also if trying to get a #1 and 3 to work the same depth you only need around 12 ft. difference in distance...example 60-48...also make sure the reels are calibrated... most times in the summer dipseys with spoons will catch more fish than cranks on boards...disclaimer...dipseys work 99% of the time but some days the fish will shy away from them.

i guess i'll put my 2 cents worth in if you don't mind. i started by going out on a charter that ran dipsies. learned to run 3 dipsies per side. made 2 trips with him before going on my own. i learned more in those 2 days than i could have learned in who knows how many yrs. i started on my own with the same setup that the charter running dipsies. but had problems with the rings coming off. switch to the deeper divers and they was much better. then i swithed to the lite bite slide diver. but i didn't use the slide part. i just rigged them like a regular diver but had the lite bite function on them. i can set the rod adjustment just a little tight in rough water and the lite bite as loose as it goes. not so many false releases but even most small fish even white perch will trip the diver. i wouldn't ever go back to standard divers.

30# braid in the norm for eyes. and be sure to use a mono backing on your reels. i didn't at 1st and the line was slipping on the spool on some reels. i started with 65# braid for my main line because that's what the charter used. i went out to 50' of water with my diver set on a 4.5 setting at 2 mph with 65# line and let the diver out slow until it started tapping bottom. took 185' to reach bottom. did the math and got 2.7 feet down for every 10' of line out. now i set the front diver to the depth i want. then set middle diver on 3 20' less than front diver back diver set on 1.5 20' less than middle diver.

i also use downriggers for eyes on erie. i bought the chamberlain releases for them. i have rigger fished for 35 yrs and the chamberlain is the best there is for fishing on erie. check out downriggerrelease.com. they have 2 adjustments on them. 1 for rod tension 1 for lure tension .

For beginners to using dipseys, I would recommend only one dipsey rod per side.I would be running that at a 3 setting.Using multiple dipseys per side is more complicated and can result in tangles.As for comment that dipsey rings coming off,went to boat show several years ago and Jim Stedke seminar said he super glues these rings on.I glued them and they don't come off no more.Another great tip I got on OGF website several years ago,set your two dipsey at depth think going to catch at.Probably 5-10ft difference between the two.If not catching in 15-20 min move one up 5ft and other down 5ft.If still not catching,continue to move one up and other down till find active fish.Dont even got to reel them in,but I usually do because can have a fish or junk,stripped worm or tangle.Can check the dipsey rods much quicker than the boards.Have noticed the last few years that the dipseys seam to start outfishing the boards as the water warms up in July and into September.Not sure why, except the dipseys create a bigger disturbance of water near your lure that attracts the fish.