Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys Trolling with dipseys
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

dipseys are only a delivery system...spoons have the action the fish like...only bad thing if you want to call it that, is the stinger scorpion spoon is the perfect size for every kind of fish in the lake to bite.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Captain Eric, we have not been running a snubber with our dipsey,but have done pretty well catching.Would you recommend we add a snubber,and if so,what size?Did like your suggestion of using the TT50 instead of dipsey at 0 setting.We usually run two dipseys at a 3 setting and 4 inline boards with harnesses once water hits 50degrees and over.
    Wow! I took a day off, and missed a bunch here! Snubbers - I've run several different kinds, any where from 6" to about 10", haven't noticed much difference. I use them, and I think it helps, I don't lose lot of Dipsy fish. I'm not saying everyone needs to.... If you're not losing fish, stick with what you're doing! Keep in mind that some days, the people fishing on my boat have never seen a fishing pole before, so I'll use everything I can to help them get fish into the boat. If you've reeled in 1,000 Dipsy fish, you may be a little more experienced!

My release clips - Yes, Bear runs the same, Blindsided runs them, GoldenEye, I think even BudMan, etc. etc. etc..... I did not create this, I think Dan did, but not sure... nonetheless, you can do some experimenting to get the right components online, it's not rocket science! Once you've got'em figured out - you'll love 'em!

There is a comment on this thread about a 12' distance to run two Dipsy's at the same depth......The difference in lead length continually increases as the targeted depth increases... it's not a set amount all the way through the water column... but i agree with the other comment amount about staggering the depths until you find some biters. The thing I like most about running Dipsy's is there are so easy to adjust your depth. Board lines are what the are until you pop them off and bring them in. Dipsy's - just let a little more out, or bring a little in! Easy!

As far as the RINGS on Dipsy's.... I run them, and yes, super-gluing them on will keep them in place. Without that, they can be a pain in the a$$.....

Back to Dipsy fishing - anyone wanting a Dipsy and big board trolling lesson - just give me a call... You can run 4 Dipsy's a side if you want, without tangling them up....it's not too difficult.... but it does require a little technique, boat control being very important...
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Boat control.........especially when running mixed gear really comes into play. Example if only running 2 dips, you can turn as sharp as you want to almost....running 2 on side, or 3 or 4, now turning too sharp makes a mess. Certain big boards pull harder than other, and then if you have in lines they can pull even less. So knowing how much room one needs to turn, not get tangled becomes real important especially if it's a busy spot with lots of ppl in the same area.

Plus certain gear of the same runs different on every boat....what I can do as first mate on an eye hunter 30 ft sport craft, I can't do exactly the same way in my personal 19fter.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman 2 View Post
    dipseys are only a delivery system...spoons have the action the fish like...only bad thing if you want to call it that, is the stinger scorpion spoon is the perfect size for every kind of fish in the lake to bite.
    i have to agree with the size of the spoon being the same or close to the scorpion stinger. i buy a just as good spoon that works for me but doesn't lose paint after just a few fish. i get mine from galeforcetackle.com. they are the same size or very close and cost so much less than stinger spoons.

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    Boat control.........especially when running mixed gear really comes into play. Example if only running 2 dips, you can turn as sharp as you want to almost....running 2 on side, or 3 or 4, now turning too sharp makes a mess. Certain big boards pull harder than other, and then if you have in lines they can pull even less. So knowing how much room one needs to turn, not get tangled becomes real important especially if it's a busy spot with lots of ppl in the same area.

Plus certain gear of the same runs different on every boat....what I can do as first mate on an eye hunter 30 ft sport craft, I can't do exactly the same way in my personal 19fter.
    So making gradual turns is important to preventing tangles with multiple dipseys.Good to know.Our captain/driver is frequently turning too fast when we troll.Inline boards stall,line falls over inside board and get stuck on flag.Tried two dipseys on same side last season for first time.Cannot say we got any tangles,but good to know that we cant turn fast.Texted pooh bear and he thought a snubber would help on the dipseys.Said a 8-10 inch size is what he uses.We did have some trouble with line twisting around the dipsey few years ago,but found out we were letting them out too fast.I also found out from pooh bear first mate that the turbulence in back of boat can twist them also.We caught a lot on dipseys last season.The most trouble we had was knowing if we had a fish on or not.There were days when those smaller eyes did not pull the release out, no matter how light I set it.It got to the point when I would reel them in if nothing happened in 15min.Unless busy with other lines.With those 2015 fish reaching 19" this spring,shouldn't have the same problems.I hope.

If you lay an online board over its almost always going to get tangled.........and the longer they run after the worse it will get.

We always let dips out against the bait clicker. I like to get them going, put the rod in the holder on the way down, when getting close I use my thumb on the spool the lock it in at the depth I want........doing this you don't have to fight the dips pulling while trying to get the rod in the holder.

As far as something to help the lighter bit or smaller fish, only apply the drag just tight enough to keep the line from pulling out while the dips are running.....now any extra weight at all will cause the line to creep out. If you have the clicker on you will hear take a couple clicks on the strike. Doesnt work as well in rough water. This is not a full proof way to tell little fish, but it can help, sometimes all you can do is check them often.

I also don't try to trip a dip or jet that didn't release, sometimes that action can loose a fish
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 01-18-2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post

I also don't try to trip a dip or jet that didn't release, sometimes that action can loose a fish
    Good example of different technique from one boat to the next..... I 'check' every Tru-Trip and Dipsy before bringing them in... I try to teach this to customers, but it can be tricky...you gotta get the feel for it. With the TT's.... once it's off the towline and tightened up (unless I know for sure it tripped), I'll add a little more tension, then a quick but short pop - just to check the diver... sometimes I'll feel it drop a little tension, meaning it just tripped... if you don't feel anything different, same weight, that's the fish and it had already tripped. Usually you can tell prior, and with all these small fish getting larger it probably won't be much of a concern this year. Dipsy's - same thing - little pop just to check the trigger before reeling... with a snubber, that pop won't mean lost fish. Again, unless you can see that's it's riding damn near on top, which is usually where they end up if they hook up and you didn't see it right away.

I just want to be clear - just because this is how I do it - doesn't mean anyone else is wrong! Do whatever you've been doing if it puts fish in the boat!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

ditto on checking them...if their catching fish regularly and one quits check it...either small fish on it or it could be tangled....been quite a few times we check and nothing on it and put it back out and it goes right away...must be the different motion of the spoon moving down into place...we fish mostly west of west sister and normaly the dips are out less than 75 ft...only takes less than a minute to check and reset...I had one day last summer when I fished alone and ran 2 dips both back 65 ft one with a purple demon and the other a uv helmut and I caught over 60 eyes and numerous trash fish to get 6 keepers...if one had a fish on the other one did too even though it didn't look like it...got to the point were I just checked them constanly, sometimes nothing was there...between all the fish and checking and reseting them I prolly did it between 80-100 times...got to say I was kind of tired when I got done at noon...helmut caught more fish but demon caught all the keepers.
    Last edited by fisherman 2; 01-18-2018 at 09:20 AM.

I may not be clear enough.... when I said I 'check' TT and Dipsy's... I meant I check the trigger before reeling.... With the 7' medium light Talora's, I don't need to check board rods for fish.....I can tell you if one picks up a 2" white perch... Dipsy's can be tougher - those I'll pull in occasionally if they're not catching.... and sometimes there's a little fish! Problem solved!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

I agree if set right a little bump us normally all that's heeded to trip the release, and what's done on a personal boat is and can be different then dishing with clients. As a first mate I would hate to bump 's rod to release a diver and somehow between point a and fish gets off, then I can be the one in their eyes that lost the fish. As you said a lot of these ppl have never fished this way, and honestly most do a down right incredible job at picking it pretty quickly