Shiner Scales Removal Shiner Scales Removal Shiner Scales Removal Shiner Scales Removal

Default Shiner Scales Removal

Well last fall was great for perch fishing. Got so busy I forgot to clean the shiner scales off my rods and reels. Now they have become a part of my fishing equipment. Does anyone have an easy or helpful method for cleaning perch scales off your rods and reels. Maybe an old family secret. They are dried and hard as rocks. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Since its snowy cold and windy out I thought it could be a good time to go over my fishing tackle and get it ready for spring. Stay warm !!!

I usually put my rods and reels in a sink full of hot water and Dawn dishsoap this time of year, let it soak for 30 minutes or so, then using a soft bristle brush scrub the handle, reels and rods . This will remove most of the scales but you may have to work a little harder in some places. I have never found an easy way short of powerwashing them right after fishing. Good luck and tight lines this year.

Scotch brite pad and dish soap that's what a friend uses me I just let it build up and the after a few yrs I buy new

Cover scent. Leave 'em there. Lol

I just use a damp rag and my thumb nail. It takes awhile but it gets the job done.

UPDATE: I used Dawn dishwashing soap, hot water and a scratch lite pad. Used the kitchen sink and they cleaned up like new. Note to self never clean your fishing stuff in kitchen sink and use the stuff your wife uses to do the dishes. It seems to upset them some. I guess I am in the dog house for a while so next time I will do it when she is not home. Now to make mayfiy rigs!!!