Line questions Line questions Line questions Line questions
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Line questions

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    Sorry I didn't post a clearer message.
    And I'm sorry if I read it wrong! I've just heard the chatter enough.... people that have fished right beside me, behind me, in front, where ever..... maybe at 10 or 11AM I've got 36 plus a few extra on the cleanup, and they've only got 5..... same story every time it seems "they must be running 30 lines".... 20, 24, 30, whatever. No, that's not the case. We just figured out how to quickly identify exactly where the biting fish are, and then run 16 lines right there. If you pull 10 fish from an active pocket of fish each time through, it doesn't take long to limit.... and it doesn't require over-rodding either! It only requires paying very close attention to the leads and colors of the first few fish !!!!!
    And true - that can change - so you always leave a couple other rods looking high or low, whatever, unless it's a frickin' bonzai! Then I'll set everything the same and watch the chaos unfold!!!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

I believe Dennis from the "Migrator" used to be a dental patient of mine.He helped me out tremendously back over 10yrs ago when we were starting to learn how to troll.This was before the websites that helped with all the info we get now.I would call him with questions after each day trolling and he would let me know what to do or what we did wrong.He did invite me to go with him,but regret that I didn't.Would have learned so much faster.Dennis used to tell me to always keep a line shallow in upper 10ft also.Eventually he moved, but by then had learned how to catch our limit in 2-3hrs.I have also fished with Keith on his boat Pooh Bear the last 5yrs.He follows all the fishing regulations,as I would expect a charter captain to follow.We only fished with 2 rods per person max.He is set up to only fish 16 rods max regardless if he had more people anyway.His rodholders hold 6rods per side that go off the big boards and he has four rod holders for the dipseys.As for Captain Eric's comment about people fishing by him and catching only a few fish,compared to his 36 fish limit,there are always people that complain,regardless of the situation.There are also plenty that fish that don't know what they are doing or too stubborn to learn how to troll properly.We have yet to fish with Keith during one of those 2-3hr limit days though.But he works hard to get us on the fish and once fished longer than allotted time to get a good cooler.We usually all have Canadian liscences, so we have been fishing in Canadian waters in June with him.I am still learning things with him,but I watch how he does things.He certainly covers a much wider swath of water with his boards out about 30yds on each side.He fishes practically every day and keeps in contact with a lot of other guys out fishing.Me included.No wonder you guys can consistently catch 30+ fish on most days.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    I believe Dennis from the "Migrator" used to be a dental patient of mine.He helped me out tremendously back over 10yrs ago when we were starting to learn how to troll.This was before the websites that helped with all the info we get now.I would call him with questions after each day trolling and he would let me know what to do or what we did wrong.He did invite me to go with him,but regret that I didn't.Would have learned so much faster.Dennis used to tell me to always keep a line shallow in upper 10ft also.
    Sorry to hijack the thread.
    I met Dennis about 18/20 yrs ago? When he first moved to Ohio. He was strictly a salmon guy but wanted to know how to catch walleye. Dennis, Casey (his black lab) and I became great friends over the years. He is a quick learner. Everytime we fish, it's a competition between his side and mine. We had a blast.
    Here is Dennis and my wife, both with their first walleye over 11lbs.

And Caseydog and my wife. Casey had to lick every walleye or salmon that came in the boat. No sheephead.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.