Line questions Line questions Line questions Line questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Line questions

Default Line questions

Going to put new line on my counter reels for trolling. Need recommendations on type and lb. I mainly troll meat and Bandits from boards. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You will probably be using mono. I have had good luck with Treilene Big Game and Sufix Siege, both in 12 pound test. Whatever line you choose, make sure it is 0.014 in diameter to match the dive charts. 16 pound Sunline is 0.014 but I had breakage issues with it and quit usIng it.

Thanks. I had the same issue last year with that same line. I lost a board using it and I’m replacing the line for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankangler View Post
    You will probably be using mono. I have had good luck with Treilene Big Game and Sufix Siege, both in 12 pound test. Whatever line you choose, make sure it is 0.014 in diameter to match the dive charts. 16 pound Sunline is 0.014 but I had breakage issues with it and quit usIng it.
    Man...just my luck ! Seen a couple posts where they we're using #16 Sunline, and loved it. So what do i do, buy a 3300 yard spool, to re-spool 6 board rods....now i'm in question.

I'm a power pro guy. 30lb test red or yellow. Never breaks. Cheap . Dive chart friendly

I know Captain Juls uses Sunline and has good luck with it. I may have gotten a bad lot but I switched

Quote Originally Posted by Bankangler View Post
    I know Captain Juls uses Sunline and has good luck with it. I may have gotten a bad lot but I switched
    Very possible...i seen hers, and a few more , with some positive input. I found it on sale, at a great price, and decided what the heck i'd try it. I run power pro on my dipsey rods.

12lb Berkley Big Game, you can buy it cheap and for me it has worked as well as more expensive choices. Any abuse to the line on any of my reels and I re-spool it with fresh line. I put a splice at the final 550 ft of line, and for the price of big game I can change the last 550’ for about a buck.

GF

Most Charters use 30lb power pro with Mono as a backer. Now this is using mostly big boards. So when you hear on the radio what program they are running you can dial it in fairly quickly. I personally don't like running mono for the fact it stretches to much for my liking. I like the fish to be hooked up as quickly as possible.

I used to use braid. I stopped running dipsy's. Changed back to mono. #17 trilene test holds up to/against any fish your going to take out on Erie. 15+ yrs now.
    Pulling meat, unless you are using jets or dipsy's. You don't know actually what true depth you are running. So a dive curve is only a guide. As is the trolling guide. A guide. Not an exact number.
    Way to many other factors that aid/take away from the "guide".
    Yes you can get a bit more depth from braid due to it's thin size and no stretch. But I can get any bait down to 65+ ft using weights up to only 3 oz and I have run upto 10oz and 8oz. And I don't have to let out 180+ ft of line to do it and still add weight. If that makes sense.
    Just like everything else out there. There are folks who get paid to use and tell you/everyone they use said product/products because they are the best. As soon as sponsorship/freebies stop. They change product most everytime. Here is something that might help with your decision. Not my actual data so take it for what it is.
    Line questions-depth-difference-jpg
    Last edited by ebijack; 12-31-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.