Flotation foam Flotation foam Flotation foam Flotation foam
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flotation foam

Default Flotation foam

I need foam. When i ripped the floor out, the foam blocks were waterlogged and weighed about 75 lbs each. I ripped them out and put a temporary alternative in place (dont ask). Now im ready to give her a legit foam subfloor and it seems its going to cost me no less than 500 bucks. Its a small boat. Seems a little excessive when she floats just fine now. Any ideas? Or know a place to have it done fairly cheap?

I do a lot of reading on boating forums and this question comes up a lot. It seems that most are using a material like a swimming pool noodle, the long foam plastic swimming aids as they do not absorb water so they will not become waterlogged. The flotation is needed in case your boat springs a leak and becomes filled with water. If it sinks to the bottom the EPA fines can get very expensive quickly!!

Aeromarine

You need a closed cell foam. Closed cell foams do no absorb water. No knowing how mush space you are filling or the shape, you could look at the Square swim floats i have seen around the smaller lakes for sale. Usual price is around $50 for a 4X4X2" thick float it is easy to cut and light weight

When I replaced the stringers in my 25 Grady few years back I did a lot of research.. The answer is do it right, buy the two part foam 4 Pound. Yes it is pricey but doing it right will save in the long run..
    Google Marine foam, there is a place in Florida that was much less than others, I called them because I questioned it, very nice people explain the entire process to me and why to use the 4 Pound. I bought and was great .
    I replaced stringers myself.. big job.. all winter two years ago..

Just looked it up for you.

US Composits

About the 3rd or 4th one down when you google marine Foam

I am also interested in boat floatation and checked out Aeromarine. This looks like the ticket for flotation. Might have to wait for warmer weather as it needs to be 70 degrees for optimum performance.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

As Captain Tacky mentioned. US Composites www.uscomposites.com
    I have ordered lots of materials from this company. It is located in Florida and they are very quick on the shipping and the technical data. If you are doing boat structure work where epoxy, foam, fiber glass, gelcoat and many more things are concerned, they have what you need. You will need to determine the density of the foam you wish to use. I have used it quite a few times and it is some pretty cool stuff. You need to have your act together though because it works very quickly.

Let me tell you this,,, you do not want to spill a bucket of this stuff.. Especially on your leg. You will end up with an amazing pair of blue Jeans
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 11-01-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Another thing to consider regarding foam.
    In most cases the foam that is found in the floor of watercraft is poured in place. This in turn, becomes part of the strength and structure of the hull. Using blocks or chunks of foam will not replace this reinforcement. It is what gives so much shock absorbing ability to fiberglass hulled boats. It has a job well beyond buoyancy. Not using poured in foam could cause a very bad event in rough water.

Additionally, many people do not realize that this type of foam will capture water and hold it. This happens especially in boats that sit outside and do not have a good water flow route to the bilge where it is removed. "Hopefully" before it can give the foam a good soaking.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium