Perch and walleye report Perch and walleye report Perch and walleye report Perch and walleye report

Default Perch and walleye report

Me and 2 other guys went out Saturday. Moved around a little and finally settled near a medium sized group of boats at the SE corner of Kellys. Got our limit of perch in about 3 hours. For us, they didn't really take off until 3 pm, and we fished until 6. Real light bite, but they were all good sized, generally speaking. Average size was right around 10" with a few fish ohio fish in the 13-14 inch range, and at least a dozen in the 12" range. Also picked up a few undersize walleye on the perch rigs, and a fair number of good sized white bass. Only one sheephead.

Sunday, I had some other stuff to do, but not working Monday, we went out for a late trip just close in. 2 guys got half a dozen walleye at west harbor reef, all in the 15-22 inch range casting and drifting. Fairly large chartreuse spinners with red beads set up in a weapon configuration seemed to be doing best, and they were biting really shallow- right over the 4-8 foot shallow spot on the reef. (Approach with caution- with a south wind I know there is one rock on that reef that goes up to 2 feet and with a good wave you will bump your outdrive on it). As things got dimmer I switched over to a weighted spoon (also chartreuse and silver) and was doing ok with that too, with one 'eye in the boat and 2 that spit the hook at the net, and I headed in about half an hour after sunset. Partly cloudy, no moon to speak of, I didn't have all my night fishing junk with me so didn't really want to hang out any longer as there were a lot of perch nets in the area that I didn't want to dodge in total darkness on the way in, but I suspect that a large spoon or a crank bait cast over that area would have continued to work after dark.

Then we pulled the boat out today. With a few hours to kill I sat there with some leftover minnows in the docks at east harbor and was getting quite a few decent perch, as well as a few bluegill and medium sized bass that were hitting the bait too.

Cool K&D

Thought about doing the same thing at East Harbor last weekend. Sounds like I should have given it a try.

Good report, thanks. I remember getting my 1st ever lake erie perch in east harbor while bass fishing years ago.