Steelhead Steelhead Steelhead Steelhead

Thread: Steelhead

Default Steelhead

Lots of friendly people around Conneaut Harbor on sunday, my first time targeting steelhead around the break walls was a success, I went 4 for 6 with one fish ohio 29 1/2" 10lb 14oz hook jaw male. Hot N Tot Madflash 2 1/2" chrome blue and chrome black. Speed 3.0-3.1 SOG. Steelhead-img_1700-jpgSteelhead-img_1692-jpg

Welcome to the club. Nice fish but then again they all are......Today, being Thursday, I hit the Conneaut Lighthouse with my good friend and sometimes first mate, Al Scott. I stepped up the speed to 2.2-2.4 mph. Orange and silver 1/2 oz KO Wobblers did the trick except for a 21 inch walleye that thought a green and silver KO was more to his liking. Sorry fish...Beautiful lake and few boats. Had the boat put away and on the road to Warren before noon. For the record one of the SH measured 28.0 inches{FO
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 10-27-2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: more added text

I have read several of your posts and wanted to give it a shot, thanks for sharing info it was big help in getting started. I actually started fishing the creek years ago with my great uncle who lives in Warren also, on Lovers Lane. Im hoping to get back up there in the next couple weeks for some more action.
    I did try cleos in orange and silver and Blue silver, regular and glow with no takers on those. Do you target fish on the bottom, middle or top of the water collum?

You need to change lures, both in finish, weight and style if the ones out there are not working doing so every half hour. Varying speed will sometimes trigger bites as you speed up or slow down. As to targeting fish I try to concentrate on the middle column as these are usually the most active. If I see numbers near the bottom I will slow to idle foreward for about 20 seconds or so so KOs and Cleos can drift down close to their level. This won't work with HotnTots or WiggleWarts as they float but you know that. My leads on these flat lines are always 80' to 100'. Hope this helps.

Ok I was targeting the middle and bottom with the HotNtots 50-75-100 leads I use line counters and the precision trolling app, i would bring them up and down depending on water depth, I was curious about fishing up higher since I know I wont mark those fish in the first few feet of water if they are up there so I switched one line to 25 for about an hour and no takers. I wish i had a couple more guys on board so I could have tried more combinations, once they saw pictures they sure regretted not going with me.

To fish higher use any floating crank bait i.e. HotnTot or WiggleWart (also Little Big O's) and go slow so the lures don't dive.
    1.4 to 1.6 mph should do the trick. Try these if you can get upstream from the turnaround.

Good one.. I really love it