Great weekend Great weekend Great weekend Great weekend

Thread: Great weekend

Default Great weekend

With the threat of increasing SW winds all day on Saturday, we looked for perch marks in close to the mainland. Found just what I was looking for closer in than I've ever fished for perch. About 400 yds NE of East harbor channel in 18 fow. Lots of marks right at the bottom. Dropped anchor and fished for about 20 mins with emerald shiners but no bites. Was about to call a move when up came a double of 9's. We weren't going anywhere. Best results were had by laying the hooks on the bottom and then lifting slowly after 10 or 20 seconds. Bites came in spurts. We would catch 3 or 4 and then nothing for 15 mins then 1 or 2 and so on. Never up and down but enough to keep us interested. Finished with a two man limit after 4 hours or so. clean them myself so no weights but quality fish with few shorts and some over 10. Sunday we were joined by my son who hates fishing for perch so we went out for walleyes. Left East harbor and went about 12 miles east toward Huron and began marking fish so out went the boards. Using chrome huff daddy and I be frozen bandits we start picking them up. We were in 42 fow. 110 feet back at 2.5 mph got many of them. We used the kicker and steered with the electric. Finished the day with a 3 man limit. No gators, all 16 to 22 inches. Good eaters. Only caught a couple of shorts. The short fish we were all getting last spring are now mostly 16 or 17. The future is looking good. I sure hate to see winter coming but for now the fishing is good for both species, as usual you just have to find them.

Good report, thanks. We fished for eyes on 10/9 &10/10 from se corner of kellys to CP dump, spoons behind jets. Our bigger fish (20, 23") came in <40 fow not too far out. There was a big name charter working back and forth between the island and the lighthouse. There were plenty of fish in close. Nice not to have to run too far to get into them.

Quality perch to me are all 10” or greater...guess it depends on your definition of quality.