Fishing Thur-sat.-sun. Fishing Thur-sat.-sun. Fishing Thur-sat.-sun. Fishing Thur-sat.-sun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing Thur-sat.-sun.

The crew really stunk this weekend. Thurs. evening A can 5 perch. Fri. too windy didn't try it. Sat. started at A can quickly moved N of w. Sister total catch 14, and we must have moved 5-6 times maybe more. Sun. started with great anticipation, we had shiners & goldies we were ready and fired up. Out Turtle Creek at 7:00 really nice water. Went N. of W. Sister, 4 mile or so, started out 4 perch in the first 5 minutes then it stopped. Moved about ohh I'd say 10 times, in and out pack just of nw. Sister. Last stop about 2.5 mile W. of Sister. Quit at 2 with a total of 16 perch. We had a great time though, I think that's a record for us. Will be out this weekend Lord willing. Hope we don't break this record.

You aren't doing something right.

Maybe to many moves, stay on a spot and fish them under you, I believe that they are curious and will investigate the the raucous of a hooked fish, and you can bring them in.

I've read alot of reports, and also talked to some fisherman in campground i'm at, and most say they are letting the minnow lay on the bottom for 10-12 seconds . then raise it slowly. They also have said the bite is light, but i have no first hand knowledge. Also cutting minnows in half, or using smaller minnows, seem to work better at times. May try that......or spreaders with no bling.

Its a really different bite this year. Lay your rod still on gunnel. Back of boat and short length of pole out is best so it doesn't bounce way up and down. Watch tip. First light twitch let it go. Pick up pole gently, be ready. It then becomes a guessing game... When is he going to twitch again? and anticipate that to hit him. The second twitch may be light too. He may suck it two or three times without hitting it good. You have to play the guessing game when to hit him. Any pressure on your part they turn it loose. That's why holding it is tough. Skipper 9 rig is good because you have two minnows hanging there together (you want them just inches off bottom) When he twitches it and steals the first one, you are ready to nail him when he goes after the second. Sunday they never bit good, but would sneak back at that next minnow two and three times. Takes patience and attention. The days of up and down bite, and of holding the pole waiting for them to nail it and bend it over are few and far between this year. Good luck.

If it helps I had the same issues you did. I think the wind Friday or cold front or whatever jacked things up. I tried everything. Hooked thru tail head cut in half. I had emeralds. The bite was just really slow and lite.

Quote Originally Posted by LEfriend View Post
    Its a really different bite this year. Lay your rod still on gunnel. Back of boat and short length of pole out is best so it doesn't bounce way up and down. Watch tip. First light twitch let it go. Pick up pole gently, be ready. It then becomes a guessing game... When is he going to twitch again? and anticipate that to hit him. The second twitch may be light too. He may suck it two or three times without hitting it good. You have to play the guessing game when to hit him. Any pressure on your part they turn it loose. That's why holding it is tough. Skipper 9 rig is good because you have two minnows hanging there together (you want them just inches off bottom) When he twitches it and steals the first one, you are ready to nail him when he goes after the second. Sunday they never bit good, but would sneak back at that next minnow two and three times. Takes patience and attention. The days of up and down bite, and of holding the pole waiting for them to nail it and bend it over are few and far between this year. Good luck.
    Good description.

sometimes when the bite is slow your better off just staying put and take what comes . i tried chasing around for a better bite a couple of times with out it paying off . its sure has been a funny bite this year lite bite as mentioned and they seem to come 2 or 3 then nothing for awhile its also hard to keep your crew paying attention when the bite is slow when one finally comes you miss it when the the bite is on you stay more focused on things

I,m starting to think you guys are right on. We would move, catch a few, then they would quit. We should have,maybe given them a little time, the crew was really wishing for some of that up & down action. Thanks guys, will be out next weekend to try again. I have to remind myself, It's fishing not catching.

I give it a half hour each spot. I was at kelleys at two spots today looking and did not like what I saw and fished one and left and ran to G can. Best Grade of fish all year. 90 in less than 3 hours