Weekend with the Grandsons Weekend with the Grandsons Weekend with the Grandsons Weekend with the Grandsons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weekend with the Grandsons

Brought my grandsons (age 7 and 8) up for their first trip to Erie. Day started on Friday with the perch bite up on the line being slow with just 5 perch and 2 kids losing interest fast. Papa was starting to think what to do...where to go. Got a call from a buddy that was picking up some eyes off the Huron dump. Decided to make the trip around Kelleys down to Huron. Got east of Kelleys and was marking fish so thought why not. Let's try it. After a few hours we had our limit of 24 and heading back in with 2 smiling kids from ear to ear. This afternoon headed back to the same place...same program (dipsy and spoons). 2.5 hours and a little more sorting we had our 24 again. 1/2 of both days fish were 18" to 20" and other half ranging from 22" to 25". Now have 2 exhausted kids and a tired and super happy Papa. Times that I'll never forget !

Nice job. Can't wait till my grandkids are old enough to take. This makes my decision to fish walleye tomorrow easy. How Far East of Kelly's did you end up.

Few miles east...40 fow or deeper. Marked alot of fish.

Good tip thanks. Took 3 tickets today east of Kelly's 40 fow spoons changing throughout he day. Fished 8-1 few shorts. Keepers between 17-26 range. N to S troll line

Nice work!!

I'll agree on the good tip. Wife and I had our limit by 11:00. 17 to 24 inches. Slow trolling harnesses with snap weights.

What speed? I haven't trolled for a few months hope I remember how haha. Thanks

Speed was 1.1-1.3 gps

I was running 2.3 to 2.6

Gwlank,

Wife & I are headed up for a few days latter part of this week. Never fished for walleye in September. We hammered the perch this season with limits every time around Islands. Question, we are staying in Port Clinton, like to try walleye trolling, is it best to launch from Mazurik's boat launch for access to 40' walleye water East of Kelly's? OR drive to Huron boat launch and head North to 40' feet. I looked at map, seems a toss up? Thanks everyone on the info shared on this site. We have been very successful due to your comments. Regards, Herk
    Lund 1875 Sport Tyee
    Mercury Pro XS 150 4/stroke
    9.9 Pro Mercury kicker
    IPilot Ulterra 112
    Vessel View 703; Lowrance HD