Fishing Day 2 with Ken and Doug 9/11/17 Fishing Day 2 with Ken and Doug 9/11/17 Fishing Day 2 with Ken and Doug 9/11/17 Fishing Day 2 with Ken and Doug 9/11/17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing Day 2 with Ken and Doug 9/11/17

Today was the second day of a two day trip with Ken Groeschel and his friend, Doug...with one slight unfortunate change in plans...Doug was "calling in sick".

When I was pulling out of the driveway this morning, I got a text from Ken telling me, "Doug is sick, and can't go, so pick me up at the hotel at 5:45". I replied, "I'm on my way...stopping for gas first, and I'll be there at 5:45". Poor Doug...it must have been something he ate yesterday, but I promise...it wasn't my brownies! D'Oh!

I picked Ken up at the hotel, and we drove over to Big Bopper's for breakfast. They hadn't closed that section of 163 east yet...the one that had the signs up stating that they would be closing the road there on Sept 11 for 7 days. That's going to be a pain in the butt, but since I don't have anything scheduled for the next 6 days, I guess it won't affect me too much.

My friend "Trapper" was there at Big B's too, and when I asked him if he would want to go perch fishing with us today, he said, "Yes".
    I hit Hi Way Bait after breakfast, because they changed their opening hour to 6am now, instead of 5:30. I think Rickard's is still open at 5:30 though...but, don't quote me on that. It doesn't get light now until around 6:45, so the later openings won't hurt anything.

After getting minnows and ice, we drove over to Catawba to launch, because I figured since I was going to go fish the northern part of the islands, I would be able to open the Ranger up on the lee wind side of the land bits. I was right...woot! woot!

We set up on the north side of North Bass, where I found some perchy marks with the Humminbird. It was a pretty steady bite, but still not an "up and down" bite from 7am to 9:45, and then it slowed WAY down. We were 17 short of a three man limit by then though, so we just kept moving around and picking up a few here and a few there, until the we only needed 9 more. The last spot produced well though, and it wasn't long before we had those last nine in the cooler.

Normally, I would have stayed on that first spot, knowing they would turn on again....because, I was still marking them there...but, Ken kept saying, "Let's move over there a little bit", or "Let's move 100 feet"...lol So, I obliged.

Never the less, it was a fun fun morning and we managed 29 pounds at the cleaners (28 pounds yesterday for 83 perch). Doug met us at Port Clinton Fish Co., and was looking in much better form, than I had expected him too....so that was good! They said they had a good time and would be back again next season, so that made me happy.

I'm off until Monday the 18th, unless someone contacts me for a charter this week.

So, until then....I'll be cleaning my house, cleaning my yard, and getting ready, because.....(said in the voice of Eddard Stark) "Winter is Coming".

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing Day 2 with Ken and Doug 9/11/17-fishing-ken-doug-9_11_17img_0275-jpg Fishing Day 2 with Ken and Doug 9/11/17-fishing-ken-doug-9_11_17img_0280-jpg Fishing Day 2 with Ken and Doug 9/11/17-fishing-ken-doug-9_11_17img_0282-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

The perch rig in the picture.....with red mono... Did that come from Hi-Way recently?
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Eric View Post
    The perch rig in the picture.....with red mono... Did that come from Hi-Way recently?
    Yes, it did. I'm waiting for them to get in more. I called earlier today and they didn't come in yet.
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    Yes, it did. I'm waiting for them to get in more. I called earlier today and they didn't come in yet.
    I thought i recognized it.... that's the "E-10" perch rig, with improved bottom hook stand-off....fewer fish lost off the bottom hook because of the weight giving them a black eye all the way to the surface! Awesome!!! Glad it's working for you!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

I'm sure thus might be getting into trade secrets, how are those minnows hooked?

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    I'm sure thus might be getting into trade secrets, how are those minnows hooked?
    lol...no trade secrets. Just double hooking them. Either going through the mouth, out the gill, and through the back...or, through the back...turn it...and, through the back again.

I don't use live minnows. If you use live ones, a friend is tail hooking them and doing well that way.
    [email protected]

Thanks never seen it through the mouth, we always go in the back and back up out of the back. They don't live long that way, just wondered on slow days if they were wiggling if it might help out.

Okay....so, I'm told the fella that used to make the original Skipper 9 rigs has died, and these red line versions are being made by DJ's Customs, and are also called, "skipper 9's".

Capt Eric makes one too, those are called, "E-10's".

I was just at Hi Way to check the status of their inventory (because I've been waiting a week for them) and they just got a new batch in....in a plethora of colors.
    Last edited by Capt Juls; 09-13-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Good to know, Jim''s uncle used to help him tie those and other things did sadly pass away earlier this year. Even though I did not know him all that well, I did have the pleasure to meet and fish with him several times. He seemed to be the kind of person we all should be measured by and strive to be in our own lives

Are u using frozen minnows or goldies