What's up with this perch? What's up with this perch? What's up with this perch? What's up with this perch?

Default What's up with this perch?

What's up with this perch?-image-jpg

Caught this bugged eyed perch and wondering if anyone else has ever seen one like it. The eyes were bulging out a good half inch and all other perch eyes are normally flat. And no I'm not squeezing him to make them pop out, he just came that way. Looked healthy otherwise.

2 of us caught 30 mostly 9-10 inch perch West of the North tip of Kelly's on Sunday. Super lite bite and single hook caught more fish 6 inches off the bottom.

I've caught perch like this when I catch them in deeper water. I think they are use to pressure that's deeper and the eyes bulge from decreased pressue. Kind of like the "bends" divers get from coming up too fast. That's what I figured.

they also blow their stomach, deeper water will do that

Yes, I've seen their stomach sticking out of their mouths.

Blog Entries

Is that there stomach or the bladder?

I've seen the stomach or bladder blow out many times. This is not a blow out from pressure but was a genetic thing. I thought it looked like a hybrid of some type....possibly crossed with something. I wish I would have taken some better pics but I have a hard time seeing my screen in the sun. Really strange looking from the side view too.