String Braid or mono String Braid or mono String Braid or mono String Braid or mono
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

mono backing on reels with 300 ft.40 lb. power pro ( 10 lb mono dia ) then 20 lb mono usually 1 rod length with quality ball bearing swivel ( important to prevent line twist ) on 1 end. Line dia is important because most dive curve charts use 10 lb dia. as standard for dive curve charts. Also important to calibrate LC reels so your set back length is correct.

I go with gradyfish,I use 12# big game, have landed some pretty big fish with this line, and it doesn't break the bank can get 4700yds on eBay for usually less than 40 clams, everyone has their own opinion, I like the extra stretch. Some depends on the type of rods you use

Don't think the line diameter that big an issue to match up with all the dive charts.Even though have lines calibrated,not even sure how much better it helps me catch better.Unless one rod way off,like 10ft different than others at 100ft.When starting to troll we try and spread depths out to cover water column,then when start catching,changing other rods to the depth that are producing.Now lets say my #2 tadpole is catching well at 45 and I change over my other 3 rods to get same depth.I may put another at 45 on opposite side of boat and the other 2 at 47 and 43.I have found that the difference of 1ft of depth doesn't really catch better than another.That one foot difference is about same as the line diameter gives you, or if your reels are not calibrated.Maybe for tournament fishing for bigger fish it does,but we don't fish for money.

The difference between .014 & .020 at 2mph with a 2oz weight and a 100 foot of line out is approx 4'. To each his own, but i find it important to pay attention to line diameter when looking at dive curves.

I run mono with inline boards for cranks and harnesses . The only time I use braid is for dipsies . As far as calibrating your line counter , why wouldn't you ? It's free , just takes a little time , 1ft off on your counter could be as much as 15ft off of line out , depending on the lb. line and if your overspooled or under spooled. It could be the difference between having your baits above the fish , or below them ......

amen..... Gradyfish.... amen

I assume the difference between .14-.20 is 10-20lb test.We pay attention to the dive curves for all the gear we run.I agree if we were off 4ft in the depths we were running,could affect our catch rate.That diff in diameter,long leads and 2 mph is at the high end.The Maxima line we run is 15 lb test and .15 diam.We have mosly fished with leads closer to 50 and rarely go over 2 mph.I would say my line at most is 1ft higher than the dive curves says for rigs were running.I was considering getting 10lb test for all our rods,so we would be right on with the dive curves.I though the difference in diameter not worth trade off for the weaker line.Was afraid that Nick's in line would increase loss of fish and or Nicholas Zart told me they use 12lb Maxima on his father's boat.I was spooling and calibrating for a new troller.Went with the heavier line.

Mone for inline boards , cranks , inline weights or tadpoles . The added stretch let's em take the bait deeper .
    Braid for big boards , Jets , and dipseys .
    The no stretch helps to trip easier , or yank and release the line on big boards .