Easy Question for the Expeienced Easy Question for the Expeienced Easy Question for the Expeienced Easy Question for the Expeienced
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

The system you use to get your lure down has pros and cons.The problem we have using sinkers/weight is when you slow down with a turn or putting board back is weight will sink and could snag the bottom if rocky.Weights work good if water deep or muddy bottom.The Tru trips or jets float if you slow down so the will not snag a rocky bottom.The trouble with the planners is the release does not pull all the time and the deeper you need to go, the harder they pull.

We lowered the rear attaching location for the flag, this helps the nose come down and the board pull harder out. The hard part is getting the flags still to work. Just have to play with springs and location, every day depending on the waves it takes a different setting on the flags, bigger waves take a stronger setting, on calmer days I can lighten it up to read smaller fish better. We still end up reading the board as much as the flag. With 3 on side it makes it easier to see 1 board doing something different than just 2. We use releasing clips up front and lockers in the rear. We don't normally have to pull of move boards to get outside boards to clear inside ones. With releases they simple fall back put of line much like a clip coming off a big board set up. When we go back out we don't shuffle board, the middle board goes back to middle same as the outside. Makes it easy to remember depth we were set at plus I normally run my shallows setting on the outside. Fish are not as spoked by the boat, plus it I have a release hang up its easier to get a shallow setting to pass over the deeper without tangle than it is the other way around.

I also try to keep the distance between my boards the same. For example I might put the outside + 100 over feet back, the middle might be +75, and the inside might be +50. When there are not a lot of boats I will spread them more apart running 150/100/50.

The extra space helps reduce tangles but makes turns harder, as much as I hate doing it, sometime I pull the 2 outside boards on the inside b4 turns. I can turn faster without worring about laying tbe boards over and tangling up. The downside is I have less lines in on a turn and turns can be some of the most productive times. Plus they give me an idea of speed changes depending on if fish come on the inside or outside a couple turns in row I will have a idea of speed up or slow down

Branham.. I like the way this set up sounds !! iv been considering loosning my front clips so they snap out and pull back. My question is, do u loose more boards this way? This has been my fear and is why I've hesitated doing this . and how do you set a middle or outside board back without moving the others and getting Tangled iv tried but failed. Thanks in advance!

I use OR 18 on the back, I have never lost a board.

We use Sams pro release's up front, they are like 10 bucks each. I use the offshore snapper in the back. Don't remember the number, it's black with a retaining pin. I wrap it once around the clip cause it does slip in my braid every once and while. I run an extra swivel a few feet in front of my clip so to stop any slide down from getting to the fish when I'm running cranks. I would think the red clips with a pin would work just as well. Mine had these on when I bought them so I have not tested or used the other style. I think in the last few years I've had a board fall off once or twice......but it could be traced back to when the snap was closed the pin went outside the hole not in. So i take a few seconds now when putting out or take 20 mins to fetch a board.

As far as how I put out, I put my running depth, say 50, then my boatd, then my out say 100. I just put the board in let out the 100on a basicly free spool with the clicker on. Once out just lock it in and in a min it's pulled out to the side. So let's say they are all at 50 back, with 100, 75, and 50 out the side. Fish come's in on the middle. I put back out the 50, board, then 75 the same way, right out the back with the clicker on, lock it in and it will pull up the middle right between 1 and 3 just as it was. It does take a min or so to side up into place, and the extra pull at that time makes a bite hard to see if it occurs and sometime that board will look lagging back like a fish hangin on it. It just take's a few trips in differs conditions to see how they normally react to how you have yours set. Not all sets of boards pull the same, I have 1 of my 8 that always lags back, I try not to use it till last, it's marked , it looks lie a fish is always on it for some reason.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 08-05-2017 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Typo

Went up to monroe again today. Water looked a whole lot better. Wind may have blown the heavy algae to the east. Good for me, sorry for the charters in port clinton. Any way, caught many walleye, just 4 were big enough for me. 16-17". Tried Tru tip 30s and jet 30s. They all filled up with water! I'm assuming that isn't right.lol. Just bought them thursday! Had to go back to mini discs but they worked out alright. 140 back with stinger spoons, cat dog, purple demon were best. Ran about 2.6-3 mph out in front of bolles harbor in 21-23 fow.

Jets filled with water are not correct, these will not drive correctly. I had a tt trip get water in it, they replaced it

Tim, they were all new? Take them back and get TT 40's. Advantage, less line out for same depths. Don't bother with jets get TT's. Did you loose my #?
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Tim did you loose my #? Get TT40's lees line same depth.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav