Easy Question for the Expeienced Easy Question for the Expeienced Easy Question for the Expeienced Easy Question for the Expeienced
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Easy Question for the Expeienced

Ok, so I finally broke down and tried trolling on wednesday. I got a fluke 14" out near west sister right away then nothing. I was using mini discs because of the ability to use the directional adjustment. After a couple hours I realized I probably couldnot get any deeper than 20' no matter how much line I let out. I ran up to Monroe and ran around in 22' and did very well even though they were shorts. I got one keeper and lost 3 that were also big enough to keep. Netting by yourself with a 6 foot leader is somewhat of a chore. Lol. So do you guys change the treble on stinger spoons? Do you add a stinger behind the treble?
    Another easy one. Can I run Tru-tips being my Church boards, is that the only way to keep them from coming together behind the boat? Thanks in advance! You guys with all the answers have my respect and all the help is greatly appreciated!
    BTW, I was using spoons very similar to Purple demon, but without the pink dots 140'back at about 2.4 mph. I was about halfway between Detroit Edison and Toledo Harbor light.
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Most people don't change treble on spoons or put stingers on them.Think church are brand of inline boards.The trutrip 40 is used Alot by charters with the big boards.I have used them on my inline boards,but I feel they they pull too hard.I want my device that gets lure down to pull less than possible.I feel I can read the boards better that way.We use the #2 tadpole to depth of around 25 ft than if need to go deeper put on a 3oz sinker.Good luck.Takes years to be productive using new technipues.Thid forum speeds it up.

I have run TT-40s behind my Church's Inline boards with some success though they do pull awfully hard. I second what MasterKraft says, use the tadpoles. They aren't that expensive to get started and work well. I have both and use the tadpoles a bunch more. I believe you can get more depth with shorter leads on the tadpoles as well depending on speed of course.

Yes you can run your tt behind your boards, I just use the stock hooks. I have up sized them on some of my spoons, if I have a color that is working good and buy matching ones I just use the stock hooks, I only go up one size,to big and it will effect the performance. Tt 40s is what most of the charters use. You can listen in on the radio and get feet back sometimes,if you have charts, you can use that to run different lures or the same lures

I usually change trebles to singles on all my spoons. When you have 2 or 3 or more fish on at a time you can clear hooks out of both the net and the fish with single hooks. Also when it is fairly calm I run my main line to a three way swivel & run a deep diver crank off 1 leg & a spoon off of the other leg. When you get two fish on 1 line, 2 trebles is enough to deal with.

I run a shorter leader when fishing by myself, the netting issue cost me a huge fish last year. When by myself I get the fish in front of the net and drop them back to the net, that way most of the fish is in the net before the hooks get there

Thanks for the info. Yes they are in line boards. That's what I was curious about if it would be too much pull. Do you seem to be as productive with shorter leaders? I bought a bunch of pro eye blades from Jann's and put Mustad number 4 trebles on them, they have turned in points. They claim to be better for holding the fish. If the wind ever let's up I'll have plenty of tricks to experiment with. Thanks also for the tip on netting from behind. Makes a lot of sense! I grew up drifting and casting and I've only been out trolling one other time with a good guy I met on here and he invited me along with him so I have the basics but you may see some more dumb questions from me, so bear with me. Greatly appreciated, Thank you
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I run a shorter leader when fishing by myself, the netting issue cost me a huge fish last year. When by myself I get the fish in front of the net and drop them back to the net, that way most of the fish is in the net before the hooks get there
    X2 we do the same thing, plus if the fish comes off due to slack a lit of time with the net behind them they just slide right into the net

I run 40 tt behind my off shores with the tattle flags still working. I prefer the jet over the weight. If you are fishing just a few feet off the bottom with weights and say you slow down due to a wave or when you turn you also have a slow size the weight will be into the bottom. Now all your hooks are full of mussels or your worm is gone. With jet if you slow they raise up

The only time I see were a longer leader helps me is when the water is calm and clear ,I pull tt 40s behind 10" inline boards with flags,