Walleye in Kentucky Walleye in Kentucky Walleye in Kentucky Walleye in Kentucky
    brodaniel Guest

Exclamation Walleye in Kentucky

Hello,

I live on what has been called the best walleye lake south of Lake Erie, Laurel Lake in southeastern Kentucky. The problem is that very few people know how to catch walleye on a consistent basis. That is where this forum might be able to help me.

Lake facts:
    Highland lake with good smallmouth, largemouth, kentucky bass, catfish, and lots of walleye (since no one can catch them!)
    Hydroelectric dam - excellent river, creek and deep lake portions
    Deep - down to 140 feet
    Clear - visibility down to 6 feet with abundant standing timber below 60 feet and plenty of coves with standing timber
    Forage- gizzard, threadfin, and alewives along with bream and crappie.
    Draw down range - depth varies no more than 18 feet through the year.

Lake fishes very good in the spring with tournaments taking 25 lbs to win five fish bass tourneys. Night fishing in the summer for bass then back in the day in fall and winter.

Walleyes run shallow in spring and fall but stay deeep most of the rest of the year. I have caught them on spinnerbaits and jerkbaits.
    it is not uncommon to hear of 10 - 15 pounders caught each year. But since no one knows how, these are uncommon.

The PWT holds tourneys on Lake Cumberland and the pros came over for a day on Laurel. After a day of fishing, one pro said he had never seen the quality of fish without any pressure to catch them.

So gentlemen, HELP!!!!!!

Any good sugestions can be repaid with painted spinnerbait blades, hand-tied jigs, or spinnerbaits.

In Him,

Bro. Daniel

aceoky Guest

From what little I have been able to find out (as a Laurel fisherman myself "trying" to catch walleyes there) they're up in the timbered coves tight to the trees most of the time they do move a bit late at night (so they say) .

I know that's not much help but it's a start.

smith782 Guest

Default Any Updates since 2008 request? I see nothing since 2009

What’s the latest news on Laurel lake ?
    Quote Originally Posted by brodaniel View Post
    Hello,

I live on what has been called the best walleye lake south of Lake Erie, Laurel Lake in southeastern Kentucky. The problem is that very few people know how to catch walleye on a consistent basis. That is where this forum might be able to help me.

Lake facts:
    Highland lake with good smallmouth, largemouth, kentucky bass, catfish, and lots of walleye (since no one can catch them!)
    Hydroelectric dam - excellent river, creek and deep lake portions
    Deep - down to 140 feet
    Clear - visibility down to 6 feet with abundant standing timber below 60 feet and plenty of coves with standing timber
    Forage- gizzard, threadfin, and alewives along with bream and crappie.
    Draw down range - depth varies no more than 18 feet through the year.

Lake fishes very good in the spring with tournaments taking 25 lbs to win five fish bass tourneys. Night fishing in the summer for bass then back in the day in fall and winter.

Walleyes run shallow in spring and fall but stay deeep most of the rest of the year. I have caught them on spinnerbaits and jerkbaits.
    it is not uncommon to hear of 10 - 15 pounders caught each year. But since no one knows how, these are uncommon.

The PWT holds tourneys on Lake Cumberland and the pros came over for a day on Laurel. After a day of fishing, one pro said he had never seen the quality of fish without any pressure to catch them.

So gentlemen, HELP!!!!!!

Any good sugestions can be repaid with painted spinnerbait blades, hand-tied jigs, or spinnerbaits.

In Him,

Bro. Daniel