little help on boat direction little help on boat direction little help on boat direction little help on boat direction
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't like the packs either and usually avoid them unless I'm not finding anything. We fish with 2 guys in the boat and if anything goes wrong for a second on a slightly chopppy day we could get a little off course and get in someone's way. I know this is kind of a novice mistake and I'm not experienced as most here but I've been trolling my whole life (33 years old) and stuff can still happen that takes you away from the steering wheel for a second and all the sudden you look back and you've changed direction just enough to be headed towards pissing someone off. One time I had to reel all our lines in and appologize to a boat we accidentally got too close to. No harm done though.

A lot of good points here. I for one plot each fish especially doubles and bigger ones. After trolling a bit I look for a pattern and try to run a line over the bigger fish. I would also add that although we all have equal claim to the waters, I try to give charters their line and give way no matter who has right away. They are trying to make a living. And for the most part they are quick to help anyone who asks.
    JBD's Regina Marie (Johnny Big Dawg)
    The Regina Marie: 2008 340 Sea Ray with Sportsman Package
    Twin 8.1L Inboards, Autopilot
    Rocket Launchers, Cisco Rod Holders, Scotty Downriggers
    Raymarine w/ Navionics, Radar, Rear TV to duplicate display or watch the game
    Sirius radio usually jamming Margaritaville

When we are setting up lines originally, we try and head straight downwind.It is easier to control boat and boat not bouncing as much.We prefer to run either straight into wind or downwind once we get trolling.This is easier to control boat if there are any moderate waves and captain can see the waves and run perpendicular to them to run a straighter course.If little wind and waves 2ft or less can run any direction you want.I try and let the driver sort of control where we are running because im busy with lines and driving is soo boring.But if we are not catching, I get involved with where we are trolling.If trolling around structure,should follow contour lines.Driver should put an icon/waypoint on area that caught a double or more fish.Would not put on every fish caught but want to have several out so if one area shuts down,have another option.I believe that if you motor through a hot spot and catch like 3-5 fish in like 20min and then nothing for next 10min,i would turn around and go through that area again.Think also that you can turn off fish if run through same area too often.Think Stedke said that he tries to make a loop that takes about 30min or more to go through same area.As for speed,we troll on the lower end of most guys.Dont be afraid to change up speed and make S turns and pay attention to fish caught on a turn,to see if fish want slower or faster.Agreed on avoiding packs of boats.If not catching,run in straight line toward an area that has different depth water to see if active fish there,or may find an active pod of fish to work.As for effect of current on trolling,more difficult to gauge due to us having no way to measure.But in areas where I know there is more current,i take in consideration with speed and will add or take off a few tenths of mph to accommodate.Remember,let the fish tell you what they want.

Another way to get used to what current can do is simply get a feel for how much pull your bait has on your line in hand and make sure it stays where you want it.

Pauken 23 way to feel current speed and direction by just feeling line is much better than I can do.Not sure how you can feel that current moving at 2 mph and bouncing in the waves.