Skipper 9 rigs Skipper 9 rigs Skipper 9 rigs Skipper 9 rigs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipper 9 rigs

Default Skipper 9 rigs

is there someplace I can pick up a few Skipper 9 rigs when I am in Port Clinton without ordering them

Check out you tube if you can't find them, very easy to tie them up. Tight lines.

I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Search for Domko Perch rigs

Try Hi Way Baits
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

I've never used a "Skipper 9" rig though have used other perch/crappie rigs. What are the distances of the droppers/hooks from the bottom? Hard to judge but from the above pic I'm guessing 4", 8" and 12" from the bottom when rigged and weighted. Are the distances fixed or adjustable like the wire crappie rigs?

Hi Way Bait and Tackle sells them. They are in Marblehead on 163.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

The main objective of any perch rig is to be able to feel the bite, especially when it's real light. Rigs with heavier weights make it more difficult. Rigs with a lot of distance from the main line to the hook also make it difficult - the perch has nabbed the minnow before you can tighten the line enough to feel it. I think learning the "feel" for whatever rig you are using is more important than the rig itself. I was once challenged to use a different rig because I was catching and my buddy wasn't. I told him the feel is more important than the rig. So he said "ok, try mine." I was using a traditional spreader and he was using a crappie rig. After about 25 minutes of getting used to the crappie rig, it's feel, I started catching perch again, almost as well as with the spreader. He didn't do any better with the spreader. So once you decide on a rig and it works for you stick with it.

I'm not a Lake Erie perch master by any means so this piggy backs on what West Basin said. I mostly just use a single hook for perch. I've tried other rigs and they don't work as well for me. It's gotta be the feel. I've even outfished guys in the boat using other rigs on a single hook to the point where they finally cave in and go single hook. Kinda like trolling through a school of short eyes, when I'm in a big school of perch something goes for that minnow the second you get it down there. Guess with the single hook I definitely feel the bite and if I don't get another in a few seconds I know my single minnow is gone. Going to try making some of these rigs though. If not for perch on Erie I think they would be great for bluegills on inland lakes.

I called Hi-way today and they were very helpful. They're sending me off a package tomorrow. Ive tied "Perch-Fly" rigs as we call them in the Chicago area for perching on Lake Michigan. Basically a sparsely tied tinsel or hair fly on an aberdeen hook dropped from a main line weighted at the bottom. I agree and tie my dropper lines shorter at 2-3" to increase sensitivity/feel. We're only allowed two hooks per line. Paying attention to which hook gets hit. My rigs are not adjustable but if the top fly is getting bit, or bit by bigger fish, Ill increase the length at the bottom by adding a length of dropper line for my weight thereby raising the entire rig from the bottom probing higher in the water column. That's why I was asking if they were adjustable in an earlier reply.