Tips for Cumberland KY? Tips for Cumberland KY? Tips for Cumberland KY? Tips for Cumberland KY?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tips for Cumberland KY?

I thought I would use this stormy Saturday to pick the brains of some folks that have the same gear as me. I'm heading to the house boats with 4 families that are not interested in taking a charter. All I have is Perch and Walleye gear. Anyone have any tips for fishing Lake Cumberland from a house boat without buying a bunch more tackle? Anyone eat them big striper they have? Thanks for the help.
    Sorry this post is off topic, but couldn't find a good blog for that area.
    JBD's Regina Marie (Johnny Big Dawg)
    The Regina Marie: 2008 340 Sea Ray with Sportsman Package
    Twin 8.1L Inboards, Autopilot
    Rocket Launchers, Cisco Rod Holders, Scotty Downriggers
    Raymarine w/ Navionics, Radar, Rear TV to duplicate display or watch the game
    Sirius radio usually jamming Margaritaville

My grandson and I go there every year but we use a guide service, Morgans guide service. All I've ever seen is trolling using live bait, works great. Very similar to walleye fishing, free lines using 1 ounce weights and live shad. I personally love the taste of the stripers. Minimum sizi is 22 inches, most of fish in 10-15 lb range. My best was a 42 incher that went 26 lb. We fish out of Jamestown Marina, reasonable prices and they also rent cabins.

That's good info. Sorry for the thumbs down, tried to "like" your post. Any particular way you like to cook the striper? Bread and fried, grill, etc?

It gets very deep, fast! But head back into the fingers to find shallow bars. Troll the points with hot and tots and wiggle warts early at dusk and dawn. I've caught Walleye and largemouth this way that made the locals scratch their heads. But the advice of taking a charter for stripers is the best one. Just don't bring the family around 76 falls unless you want to see PIB from the 1980's. At least it was that way 10 years ago!

Take lots of alcohol it's a dry county

We fished there several times for stripers. This time of year they are probably "draggin shad", slow trolling with live shad and in line planer boards. The tactics change with the season and temperature. When it gets hot the stripers go deep and some of the charters use down riggers. I would definitely recommend a charter for at least one day. The striper charters are not too expensive. Stripers are great to eat fried like walleye. It is a very deep lake and immediately drops off. If your going to fish for bass and pan fish it not the greatest spot.

This does not apply directly, but I took my 18' Starcraft to Sebring,fl. At Christmas time a few yrs back. No limit on rods in fl. Gf, 16 yr old daughte n myself ran 12 rods on a local lake. Small dipseys n big boards. We caught bluegills, largemouth, specs(crappies) n about 20 chain pickerel, which I had never caught before even though I used to live in fl. Experiment! You might be surprised by the results. Good luck and please post how you did after you get back!

Cumberland is great a lot of the fishing is done at night due to the temp I would suggest hanging a light in the water to attract the bait fish with that brings the game fish for a easy meal if you can net some bait fish use it if not try some jigging spoon or small jigs stripers are great to eat any way you want to fix them I like it broiled in butter
    However You have to get all the red meat out or its nasty
    good luck have a great time

Tips for Cumberland KY?-dsc03163-jpg This is what worked for us , and hot n tot lures

Tips for Cumberland KY?-whtbass-jpg White Little Striper Bass size we are now catching out of our great lakes soon to be Striper size