Perch rigging Perch rigging Perch rigging Perch rigging
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perch rigging

so we been making spreaders for bait shops east of port clinton sold 780 yesterday they want heavy duty line which we been using 051 thousands thats got a 2 ounce wait attached i tried it here sat the 2 ounce weight caught a few fish other pole had 1 ounce caught 90 percent of the fish off wards 22 ft of water made one pass for eyes caught 11 kept 1 went home is it just to heavy for this area seems like it was just to hard to feel the bite it did come up empty more then the other pole but i got sore hands by baiting 4 kids poles and taking off fish so i was letting mine set but the kids had a blast it was aquick bite for about 2 hours lots of doubles did not limit bought 6 dozen minnows and ran out of bait any body find shinners

A modified crappie rig with a 1 oz. weight is my go to rig. I get the ones that I use at Tibbles Marina. They have 2 eight inch arms instead of the short arms found on traditional crappie rigs and eliminate most tangles with the hook(s) getting tangled with the main line of the rig. I also use a quality snap swivel on each arm to eliminate twisted snells. With red #6 tru-turn hooks or the Eagle Claw twisted hooks very similar to the tru-turns.

I haven't used a spreader in over ten years, got tired of a perch shaking off the other minnow while getting it under control for hook removal, the crappie rigs do not eliminate all of the lost bait but reduces it by at least 1/3. I want to make it clear that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the spreader system it is a proven fish catcher. I never use a three hook setup as I feel it wastes to many minnows with shake offs once the perch clears the surface.

The skipper9 rigs are also fantastic perch jerkers proven without a doubt to catch fish. I really don't believe there is a bad system for catching perch but I feel there are systems that take away the aggravation that some times goes with certain systems.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip