Too windy again.... Too windy again.... Too windy again.... Too windy again....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Too windy again....

Is this the worst year for wind ? I fish out of the SBH and can't remember getting blown off the lake, or not even able to go out because of the waves ? Have a 23' Seaswirl . Seems you would need a 50'er to get out. Wish I would have invested in the windmills. Frustrated...

We got blown off yesterday. th 3' rollers weren't bad, then the wind came up, whitecaps and the kicker had trouble keeping things straight. 1 sheep, one 22" walleye.

it is a very windy year it seems like its windy 5 days a week
    jeff

I agree seems like it's always windy and there haven't been any breaks in between to let the lake calm down a bit.

Tell me about it. Yesterday they were saying 5 to 10 with waves 1-2 ft. I thought there might be a chance to get out. I got up at 5:15 to look at the weather buoy - there were 2.3 ft waves out there and you know you have to about double that to figure out what you see out there. ( I'll open that controversy again ) They changed the report at 4:15 am to 5-15 with waves 1-3. Yes this sucks.
    Current flotation devices:
    2101 Seaswirl Striper
    Kawasaki jet ski
    Old Town Kayaks
    Wind Surfer
    Constructed prams

I've always doubled that number, I didn't realize it was controversial. Their wave height is measured from flat water to peak, it doesn't count trough. Personally, when I'm out in the boat, a wave is from bottom to top, cause it sure as hell feels that way! Plus on lake erie you get a fair number of those "rogue" waves, where you have 2 waves to combine and almost double in size. I'm sure I'm not telling anybody here anything new, but that's why when you have 1-3's out there you'll get the occasional 8 footer.

Anyway, the wind sucks this year! If it isn't raining it's windy. I haven't been out yet. I did stop down to the small boat harbor to check things out. I saw the new concrete ramps...talked to one guy launching his boat, really was surprised how wet his back tires got to launch his boat, and he wasn't a rookie. His third time launching and he says the new ramps suck! What is the process now for launching and retrieving? I saw ramps still by the old dugs dive, but the other set of ramps are now gone. They should have kept those in as well I think.

redpearl there is no process at the new ramp whoever gets there first the ramps by the resaruant are for slipholders only
    jeff

Kinda been the same front pattern we had this winter, warm,cold and wind. Same time of week too.

Quote Originally Posted by milt View Post
    redpearl there is no process at the new ramp whoever gets there first the ramps by the resaruant are for slipholders only
    jeff
    Yeah that's what I found out, I went out this evening for a few hours to run the boat mostly, with my wife and son, caught a few sheephead doing a little bass fishing. Apparently lanes 1 to 3 are launching and 4-6 are for retrieving, but there are no signs... We didn't have much trouble launching as far as the shallow ramp goes with my 19 footer single axle, but what really sucks is there is only the one launch ramp area for use. They pretty much halved the launch ramps for use since dugs dive like you said for slip holders. I can see weekends being a real clusterfunk.

As we were puttering in the no wake zone, another guy right beside me had almost the same boat I have, a red dynasty 1986. Sure was nice being out on that lake again.

I was there a while back on a Saturday and it was a cluster. The usual people jumping lines then loading their boat at the ramp. Retrieving was worse not much room to maneuver and people sitting in the way thinking you're launching when your really retrieving then they get pissed. The guy taking money had no clue and was telling people to launch where people were retrieving. I'm avoiding that place if I can.