line change line change line change line change

Thread: line change

Default line change

The time has come to change the line on my trolling reels. I have 150 yds of power pro on them backed by mono. Since no more than 40 yds or so has ever been in the water I was thinking I could strip the line off one reel and then wind the power pro from another onto it. This would leave the used line on the backing end and the unused line on top. one of the reels has missing line (due to an unfortunate interaction with the kicker) That's the one I would strip. The last one would get a new spool of line. Shouldn't even have to adjust the line counter calibration. Good as new, right? At $17 a spool for new line this would save some money. Does anyone do this? Does everyone do this? Is there a down side to this practice? Thanks ahead for your comments.

Gary

Boy there is nothing like hooking into your kicker...lol Its a wonder your rod was still intact.
    I cannot see any reason why that line would not still be good. Heck the part that was at the beginning of the spool probably has not seen daylight since you put it on. Give it a whirl.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

I know several ppl that do this same thing, I know what hooking the kicker can do, did that this year, was very glad I have my drags set light......it was crazy how fast it peeled the line off. Worked a few min cut the braid, worked a few more, had to pull the prop to clear the mess but once I did that I was posed I cut the braid cause it just lifted off and I could had reeled it right back up. Oh well too late now.

I have done it for 3 years and In have no issue at all. I used to change it but I got tired of looking at all the good green power pro in the garbage can and just knowing it was still good. It is!