Update on ODNR attack on Division of Wildlife Update on ODNR attack on Division of Wildlife Update on ODNR attack on Division of Wildlife Update on ODNR attack on Division of Wildlife

Default Update on ODNR attack on Division of Wildlife

Former Chief Mike Budzik recently resigned from Governor Kasich's staff because of fundamental opposition to Kasich and ODNR's agenda to destroy the Division of Wildlife. I have posted on this site previously and was surprised how apathetic the majority if sportsmen that frequent this message board have been on this issue. The latest thing to develop is the senate leadership has approved a provision that changes the residency requirements for purchasing hunting and fishing licenses and tags so that any non-resident that owns any amount of property....even 1 square foot....can hunt anywhere in the state as a resident. None of the other 49 states in the country allow this. It appears this is what the ODNR Director Zehringer and his minions have been lobbying for.

It's not too late. If every sportsman and woman contacts their state senator and lets them know on no uncertain terms they support an independent Division of Wildlife and the license fee increase that will provide revenue to get them back on even keel. Let them know this residency requirement change is unfair and unprecedented in the entire country.

Here is an article with former Chief Mike Budzik's resignation letter. A little background on Mike....he was an outstanding chief and worked hard to help deliver the votes of the sportsmen and women of the state in Kasich's presidential primary bid. It is clear he has been kicked to the curb since then.

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show...rrer_id=878183

Here is an article from highly respected outdoor columnist from the Toledo Blade who has done is own investigation on this issue.

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show...rrer_id=878183

People we need to unite on this issue. It it critical you contact your senator now. The budget bill has to be passed before June 30th. I can't emphasize how drastically this will change things negatively for sportsmen and women if a license fee increase is offset by this residency end around trick.

Unfortunately, protesting in this manner won't change anything.

That is not necessarily true. I'm not sure how old you are but those of us that are getting long in the tooth remember the "Orange Hat Brigade" year back. Here is a post from the Save the Division of Wildlife Facebook page. Go check it out. https://www.facebook.com/SportsmenMatter/

"Several years ago, The Ohio Division of Wildlife called upon sportsmen and women to show up in Columbus with an orange hat on their heads and wildlife in their hearts. You came by the numbers, sat in the pews during hearings and showed The General Assembly that The Ohio Division of Wildlife had the support of the sportsmen and women of Ohio. The story of The Orange Hat Brigade is a story still retold today on the power of people that believe in wildlife conservation. With this show of support, wildlife programs and their funding were protected.
    It's time to put on your orange hat and let your local Senator know that sportsmen and women still have a voice. Call, email, tweet and write your Senator today, asking them to stand with sportsmen and women by increasing user fees, including a nominal resident user fee on hunting and fishing license."
    #OrangeHatsareBack

This is not over but it is critical. Call and email your senator now to let them know this budget proposal is not acceptable!

MageeEast, I appreciate your concerns on these matters but, there is a difference between apathy and wariness.

Just because one or more states do something does not necessarily mean it is a good thing. One thing for sure. Once an increase occurs it will never go the other way. All the while more and more sportsmen and women grow old and are not going to be replaced, while the recruitment problem perpetuates due to factors such as money Et Al. Then increases will have to occur again and again. I am no fan of Kasich any more, but to be honest I am not sure who I trust to really address the problems we are heading into.

My .02$
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium