Asian carp makes it through electric barrier Asian carp makes it through electric barrier Asian carp makes it through electric barrier Asian carp makes it through electric barrier

Default Asian carp makes it through electric barrier

According to the AP , Akron beacon journal yesterday, a commercial fishing vessel caught a 28 inch 8 pound silver carp in a canal not far from Chicago. The canal leads to lake Michigan. Not good!! Has anyone came across any other reports of this? Apparently this canal has an electric barrier which has been deterring the carp but who knows how many have made it through. These fish will be very detrimental to the great lakes!! They eat plankton, bait fish need the plankton, big fish need the bait fish . You see where I'm going with this. A multimillion business in the great lakes could be destroyed over time. Sad!!

Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

The ongoing effort to keep these fish from entering Lake Michigan through Chicago is quite intense and comprehensive. One fish is a cause for concern, but not the first one and there is a contingency plan for such occurrences. If more show up soon then there is a big issue, but if no more are found then we're probably safe for the moment.

One way to end this came to me today. The State of Illinois is broke. They are at the point of almost financial collapse. Few other states have ever been this close to collapse financially.

Illinois says they don't want to close the canals due to the economic / commerce loss. So why don't we (federal govern't or group of surrounding Great Lakes States) offer to help "bail them out" and pay them to close the canals? Determine what it would cost to replace the water commerce with land means and offer them a deal. They are desperate for cash. We're nearly desperate to keep these fish out of the Great Lakes. Let's make a deal.

The biggest issue most of the ppl that have a say in where funds go, really don't care about these issues as we do. As with most things in life in this world, unless it personally effects ppl directly that really don't care all that much.

I hope and pray we can keep those things out so we can continue to enjoy our waters.

I am confused by not being able to stop the carp from entering the Great Lakes. The commercial fisherman can take nets into the Atlantic Ocean and net giant blue fin tuna to the bring of extinction, and can not catch carp out of a river ???

they should be able to run nets across the river after the electric fence run a net every quarter mile top to bottom all the way across a good set of 4-5 nets should be able to stop the few that get through but im no expert lets hope the power dont go out lol

Scroll down to the map that shows how far they've spread so far and you'll realize it's only a matter of time sadly... Hopefully Lake Erie isn't the best habitat for them but I've also read otherwise...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...e-study-finds/

Just like my response to the "poaching thread," our government is simply more concerned with defense spending amongst other things to really devote the resources to stop this. It's a truth we all just have to come to grips with I guess... I'm politically neutral by the way.
    Last edited by Pauken23; 06-27-2017 at 11:20 AM.