Navigating the Portage River Navigating the Portage River Navigating the Portage River Navigating the Portage River

Default Navigating the Portage River

Hello all!

I am planning to take a trip up to The Famous Lagoon Saloon. I have never been up the Portage that far. Is there any advice on a safe channel through the river to get up there? Does the railroad bridge have a schedule or is it opened as needed? If so, how do I contact it.

Thanks in advance!

Follow the channel markers to the train bridge..call the dispatcher 4192541539 to open the bridge..stay in the center of the river ( unmarked) to Nugent's Canal where Lagoon Saloon is located

The bridge has no schedule, you have to call and wait till there is enough space on the tracks to open. But there is decent clearance under it. Almost as much as the main bridge downtown.

There is no channel markers, and there is no worry about speed limits. The water been up fairly high so on aver there is no issue on depth. I can run my 27fter and bravo3 on plane with no issues. I like get up on plane right away under the train bridge, still 10ft or so.

There is a long stuck right in the middle of what would be the area most would run......right in the middle of the river, it's only about 1/8 if the way to the rt 2 bridge......I stay towards the northern 1/4 of the river feel it's deeper.

There is another log getting toward the rt 2 bridge, I would say 7/8th of the way there again in the area where most would angle to go under rt 2. Neither of these stick way out, but normally it's flat enough they area easily seen.

But remember it's a river and stuff washes down it all the time and any and everything can change at any time.
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 06-22-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Typos

The famous Lagoon Saloon LOL. I have a cottage and 2 docks there. I am 7 cottages east of bar on the river. The RR bridge goes up as needed. There are cameras there and a board with a number to call. Not a problem but it could be a small wait. Just stay in middle of river once you go under RR bridge and you will be fine. Just watch for logs but rare now but only takes one. You will enjoy your time there i guarentee. I have seen 40 foot boats come up there. Water is high this year too. And you must give me a shout if you come over. I may have a vacant dock if needed and some cold ones.

Thanks to everyone for the quick reply! This is the best forum on the net!

The far West side of the railroad/Jack knife bridge, near the West support has some metal angle welded underneath, so is much lower here, Stay in center and you are fine. This bridge has less clearance than the drawbridge downtown. Motor up slow to see if you will clear and if not call the phone # above and they will call dispatch to open. My longest wait has been 13 minutes so far this year, normally 2 minutes. On my boat, if the water is touching the signs with the phone number on it, I need to call.