Call me old fashioned, but... Call me old fashioned, but... Call me old fashioned, but... Call me old fashioned, but...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Call me old fashioned, but...

Back in the day, I accumulated a lot of forward weight lures. Erie Dearies, Reef Runners, Tom's, Tiny Teasers, Parrishes, you name it. As time went by and fish started hitting more on worm harnesses, weapons, spoons, and crankbaits, in general, these went into the box and rarely saw the light of day.

70% of the time I go out fishing alone. When I go out with family or friends, I will bother to set up the trolling gear. By myself, I just don't justify the time, effort, and cost in gas to put out two poles.

Well nothing is easier to cast than a forward weight lure, and with the number of fish being caught this year, I have done something on a more regular basis that I haven't done for years (minus once or twice a year for kicks). I've been drifting/casting with forward weight lures.

In 2 trips on the lake I've put 10 keepers in the box using them.

Now I'm not saying this isn't a fluke, I'm just saying, with the number of fish out there... it's worth a shot if you still have them kicking around.

When you think about it, it makes some sense. Last time I saw the lake with this many fish in it was when the hatchery on south bass was still running, in the early to mid 90s. Back then hardly anyone bothered to troll. It wasn't needed. Packs of boats would be bunched up drifting and casting.

Man, it would be neat to return to that for a few years, as it looks like we have had a couple really good hatches in a row....

Jonk, I remember those days well! I started fishing Erie in 1988 and Erie Dearies were the weapon of choice back then. We used to love those Super Erie Dearies too with the added side spinner. Boats would be strung out in lines and drift over fish until you lost the school and the slowly move back up for another drift. People seemed to be much more courteous back then.

What I like about trolling is not being tossed around as much and being able to cover more water and be in control of where you want to target. Also being able to stay at a consistent speed to figure out what they like. Plus the fact that my arthritis kills me from reeling all day!

Still might be fun to get back to my roots some day!

I have a box plump full of nuggets, Erie dearies, parish peas, big John, mepps, and Lake Erie Hellions. Many with the paint beat off of them. I inherited this box from my dad, who I lost in 2013. I fish weight forwards often, and think of him, and love the idea of catching walleye on the very same lure. Well, the last 2 weekends we caught well over 100 walleye out of that tackle box, with 27 of them going in the cooler! I love you dad!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Jonk, I remember those days well! I started fishing Erie in 1988 and Erie Dearies were the weapon of choice back then. We used to love those Super Erie Dearies too with the added side spinner. Boats would be strung out in lines and drift over fish until you lost the school and the slowly move back up for another drift. People seemed to be much more courteous back then.

What I like about trolling is not being tossed around as much and being able to cover more water and be in control of where you want to target. Also being able to stay at a consistent speed to figure out what they like. Plus the fact that my arthritis kills me from reeling all day!

Still might be fun to get back to my roots some day!
    Some days, when the wind was just right, you didn't even need to cast. Let the line out to where it hit bottom, and either set the bail there for a mid depth presentation, or let out another 30 feet or so to keep it near the bottom, and drift. Back in the day...

I remember the side spinner lures too! Still have a couple of those also.

Last 2 trips on the lake were like days of old. Drift over a spot, pick up a fish or two, move back, repeat.

I hear you on the arthritis. I'm only 37, but thanks to a nasty car accident that broke both my legs, both shoulders, and one arm, I got an early taste of it starting when I was a teenager. It's only gotten worse in the shoulders and one knee since then. I can't wait for middle age to set in in force, leading to, ahem, seasoned age.

Praise be, my dad is still with me, and still in good shape to go fishing; though the arthritis in his hands is so bad that he had to make a custom grip for his pole to hold it without closing his fist much, and I clean all the fish that we catch. His health is good (knock on wood) and his dad was going fishing with us until he was almost 90, at least for perch on calm days... he couldn't take bouncing around a lot by the end. I hope my own pop is with me a good number of years yet. He still has to catch that elusive 30 incher. I've gotten half a dozen of them over the years, he still hasn't.

I remember those days!! We didn't have gps or a fish finder back then. Grandpa just had an orange​ jug with heavy line and a big weight on the bottom,we threw that out to mark the top of our drift! He used the compass and cans to navigate. That's how I learned to run a boat. I remember his first gps. We all looked at it in amazement lol. I'm digging out the ol Erie dearies and golden nuggets! .. FISH ON!

I loved using the old FLIPPIN HARNESSES. I always had one on a pole while drifting. I have looked online trying to find them without luck. If I could come up with a few of them I would be using them this weekend....

I remember drifting in a pack so close that you would hold conversation with the other boats..... Those were the days LOL

AMEN drifting and casting now THAT'S WALLEYE FISHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I knew what happened to all the Erie Dearies, gold nuggets, silver nuggets, Old reliables ,etc etc I had. Have a few but not like I did have.

Being as I fish alone, I still like fishing the "bye-gone" way. Last time out I tied on my well worn Erie Dearie that was always good to me years ago. Drift fishing, I caught numerous 8" Walleyes. I finally had to move out from between Kelly's and South Bass. The marks on my fish finder showed them to be stack up upon themselves. Hope they grow faster than the 14 inches from last year. They either didn't grow or they are from another hatch.

IMO these shorts are from a new hatch. Getting a lot of 15 1/2-17 out there as well.