Mon June 5 Report Mon June 5 Report Mon June 5 Report Mon June 5 Report

Default Mon June 5 Report

I uncovered my boat yesterday afternoon and thought this is good as no snakes in there. Just then as I moved my Amish sea bag, a smaller snake maybe 25" fell out. He was fast and as I grew tired of chasing him around the boat, I grabbed for him but caught him about 6" behind his head. Never expected that little guy to reach his head around and open those jaws WIDE and clamped on my thumb. I felt everyone of his teeth, but flung him off me and thank goodness no broken skin. 4:15 we left the safety of West Harbor wall into heavy seas. Had my 12 year old son with me and he says, "I don't know about this." I did not know about heading out either. WE have a 17' Whaler Montauk and despite their fame, not so hot in those size waves. WE took it slow at 7 MPH and got to SW side Kellys 45 min later. I had rods rigged for cranks and planer boards. I had rods with Tru Trips and spoons. I have never trolled in that kind of seas before. I said to my son, lets cast. I had seen others on this site speak of old school ways, so I tied on a green Toms Lure with a gold blade for my boy, and I had a home made May fly rig with a copper blade, and we used a small piece of crawler. we tucked in close to island to get away from wind, but still we drifted fast toward the Lighthouse. Once we got to 30 FOW water with that fast bottom that drops out, it was on. Despite that Whaler which can't run fast, it does drift nice and steady and drifts straight with the wind. I have never experienced fishing like that. WE had several doubles, and I got some big sheep and a huge catfish too. Lots of fun. WE ended up with 6 keepers, but what a blast. When we got closer to Lighthouse, motored back to Kellys to drift again, Same thing. Constant action. For a 12 year old kid and his dad, did not matter if many were throwbacks. They were Walleyes! WE had to end early as I got sick and waves kept building. Rough ride back and I heaved all the way back to West Harbor, and we got wet. All in all, evening to remember.

Blog Entries

A great story even the snake , sorry you got sick but its all part of the journey been there a couple of times my self also I had the use of a Boston Whaler 17 foot Montauk myself for a week in Florida out in the gulf, that's a great little boat hope you and your son get out again soon and watch out for those snakes !