Whats up with this Walleye? Help!! Whats up with this Walleye? Help!! Whats up with this Walleye? Help!! Whats up with this Walleye? Help!!

Default Whats up with this Walleye? Help!!

I'm just a weekend warrior fisherman for the past 45 years and do not recall seeing a walleye that looked like this one. The picture really did not do it justice as it was very yellow/gold.
    The fillet also had a very yellow/gold tint, so whyWhats up with this Walleye? Help!!-yellow-eye-jpg or how did it get this way ?

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Walleye like many fish species have a large variation in color, both in actual color and hue. There are several reasons for this. Finding a fish that exhibits a color variation noticeably different from other walleye really isn't that rare as far as the species goes. But seeing one like this is a bit unique, such a striking difference according to your description. Occasionally one will be caught with a similar striking difference, but the color will be a dark blue and silver. There may be something else going on with this fish, but most likely it's just a more extreme color variation. Great you got the chance to see it in person.

I don't see anything odd about that fish, and I have noticed a yellow tint to the fillets on several this year.

Fish coloration can change according to water condition, age, and genetic variation. Plus diet, bottom condition, ***, and time of the season.

In general, I find younger fish in the 10-16" range are lighter in color. Silver and dark green. As they get older they take on a more yellowish hue.

Sauger and saugeye are fairly uncommon in lake erie, though I have chanced into them once or twice. Some mixing of the genetics there might contribute to an odd looking 'eye as well.

I've caught the gold tinted walleye like that before. I always thought they were fish that came up the river and spent more time in the mud.

I had a pic on this site a few years ago when my son caught a blue walleye.

Thanks for your thoughts!