Clips popping Clips popping Clips popping Clips popping

Thread: Clips popping

Default Clips popping

I was running spoons with 40 tru trips on one side of the boat. I was using pilgrim releases and was having trouble with them just popping. One would pop then 2 or more would. Any advice to help this problem? Thanks Mike

I use cloths pins and do not have any issues with them releasing at wrong time.

Are you using rubber bands? That should help. If you are, maybe try wrapping a band around the clips to tighten them up a bit. We had 3 lines pop off on Friday all at the same exact time. Never seen that happen before

We were put Monday running spoons behind tt40s, started a turn, nothing overly tight, just a nice normal turn. About halfway though, #1 popped off.....no big deal, rubber band popped out of clip......about 5 secondo later rods 2 through 6 all popped in rapid order. Straightened out quickly and started quickly reeling rods ib reverse order to try to save tangle. All came in clean but 1 and 6 and they shared the same 14 inch walleye with 2 spoons in its mouth the same time. Only thing I can thing is he hit 1 went for 6 and tripped 2-5 as he came across. All I could see when it happened was a 6 rod tangle.

Call me inexperienced or lazy but I don't like fishing with anything that "trips." Jet divers for me... Also I keep my planers in line even though the clip on them is meant to release. I wrap it around twice so it can't release. False trips make for an even more hectic day when things are like they were today and you're getting 1 in 3 keepers and your lines are constantly getting hits. Last thing I need are false trips... Just my opinion and to each his own.

I use clothes pins and shower curtain rings for releases. When using big boards.They hold the rubber bands just as good as regular releases and are a lots cheeper.

Try wrapping a rubber band behind the pads on the clip, and when it gets rough run a band on your rod line than clip it to the release clip off you tow line...

Blog Entries

More than likely to issues related to your rods. You will find most of the Captains run medium light rods which have more action to work in unison with the boards action. I found this out the hard way and got it right on the third set of rods.

Yeah Kevin is right on. If you don't use ML rods they'll pop off. Using a good bungee system will help avoid it also. And, as mentioned, using rubber bands to tighten the pilgrim releases (5 wraps does the trick) and using a rubber band half hitched to your line and into the pilgrim release will help. Using the band half hitched to your line also keeps the drop length. Just reel the rubber band into your reel, land the fish, and drop back to the same length marked by the band and your in business. This may all sound complicated, but it's the way most of us run big boards and rarely have issues.
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

I was experiencing the same problem as you. I tried the rubber band behind the pads, wrapped it 2 -3 times on the clip and didn't have anymore problems

thanks for the advice

congo