minn kota outboard trolling motor minn kota outboard trolling motor minn kota outboard trolling motor minn kota outboard trolling motor

Default minn kota outboard trolling motor

does anyone have any pros or cons on this set up? i was looking at my options for a trolling motor and this seems to be the cheapest. i would like a 9.9 but they are somewhat expensive and my trim tabs are somewhat in the way. does anyone have any other ideas then this? i have a 96 24' wellcraft excell with a 200 merc 2 stroke outboard.

thanks

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Produc...INE-MOUNT-101/

The amish buggy bags could get you down to acceptable trolling speeds however your 2 stroke will probably not like extended periods of it. I use 2, 22 inch bags took me from 2.9 to 1.7 with a 150 yamaha on 20 foot rig.

I don't think that is the answer to troll you are gonna wear out the batteries fast pushing such a heavy boat. If you go to a 36v you will have $500 in batteries and charger. Outboard is the way to go and you can get a garelick mount to move the motor out away from the tabs. I sold a 2014 8hp Yamaha for 1400 a month ago. deals are out there just keep an eye out. Check ebay I bought it there for a 1000 it was listed for 1600. Don't be afraid to make a ridiculous offer never know. Also don't be afraid to go under a 9.9 a 6 or 8 will troll just fine
    Here is the bracket that would help.

https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/ou...cket-1477.html

minn kota outboard trolling motor-img_20160221_170145321-jpg
    I agree, find a good used gas kicker. I have a 2 stroke Evinrude 8hp, probably 90's era, paid $600 but it was like new and completely serviced. Pushes a 24 Trophy hardtop just fine. I have had it up to 9 mph. The fuel savings using the kicker will also be very noticeable, IMO. I get about 2 hours to a gallon trolling.

As far as trim tabs, my kicker mount is one of the adjustable type, is mounted on a homemade plate at the back of the swim platform and the kicker sits back far enough that the tabs are a non-issue. and it just might steer the boat a little better being farther back?

Hope this helps, Now I just need the $2XXX.00 for the itroll setup.
    Last edited by Davesnothere; 05-31-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

Quote Originally Posted by Reel_Deal View Post
    does anyone have any pros or cons on this set up? i was looking at my options for a trolling motor and this seems to be the cheapest. i would like a 9.9 but they are somewhat expensive and my trim tabs are somewhat in the way. does anyone have any other ideas then this? i have a 96 24' wellcraft excell with a 200 merc 2 stroke outboard.

thanks

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Produc...INE-MOUNT-101/
    Not sure how well it will work in your sized boat. I have a 19fter not sure of the weight of my boat but I would guess with gear and boat it's under 2500lbs. I have the 12 volt model I use, pushes my boat about 2.5mph wide open. If it's a little windy it doesn't do well going into the waves. They say ypu need 13 or 14 inches of depth.......I have that but sometimes it pops out of the water, so I would want it deeper. When trying to get down to lower than 1 mph steering control starts to go away.

I get about 3 hrs of run time to 1 12 volt battery.

Is it perfect, no. But it does work well, I like it for bear shore night action when I don't need to go fast, it's calm, not windy, and don't want to make alot of noise in the water to spook the fish that are near the surface.

I have a 24Volt IX5 Motorguide, 100# thrust I believe. It will barley push my boat 2 Mph into the breeze and that is wide open which means the batteries are going to drain pretty quickly.. lots of load to push too with 40ga gas, two outboards, and all my junk, but aluminum hull. It is handy for steering when using the outboards at idle to troll and doesn't use much battery for that.. Now I have steering controls to my kicker so I just use it.... I like the kicker idea if for no other reason that it can get you out of a hard spot should you run into trouble with your main power..
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium