Mayfly's Mayfly's Mayfly's Mayfly's

Thread: Mayfly's

Default Mayfly's

Anyone have a guess at when the mayfly hatch is going to hit? Also, I know switching to a small blade spinner (gold, copper) with a single hook and half crawler can work during this time. Any other baits good during the hatch? I know it's tough as all the eyes are full... I've heard and had some success with matching the mayfly color (gold, copper) and size (small). What do you guys troll during this time? Small spoons?

I think you have another month or a little less to worry about the mayflies

They were out yesterday. Died off in the afternoon but covered my boat in the am

A couple of weeks back there were muffleheads hatching around Kelleys - not to be confused with mayflies - not too bad. There were also black flies around but, strangely, they were just hanging around in the boat and weren't biting much - yet.

I have had the mayfly hatch on June 18.There have been years when the hatch has shut down the hatch.Some years I had even quit fishing for the two weeks after the hatch,but now I realize you can still catch during the hatch.Back in 2006 was surprised that the mayfly hatch did not slow down the bite after my 2 wks off fishing.Those numerous small fish from 2003 hatch were still easy to catch,even with all that food in the water.Expect same thing this year and next with all those fish from 2014 and 2015 hatch.Another pointer on fishing during the mayfly hatch,fish over rocks,there are no mayflies there and if fish are there,you can catch them.

I have found the afternoon bite remains good through the Mayfly hatch. Fish usually turn back on for "dinner" around 3:30 or 4:00 and go until 7:00 or 8:00 PM in my opinion.