Bottom bouncers Bottom bouncers Bottom bouncers Bottom bouncers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom bouncers

Default Bottom bouncers

Can someone steer me in the right direction on a weight range for bottom bouncers?

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggin Wagon View Post
    Can someone steer me in the right direction on a weight range for bottom bouncers?
    General rule of thumb is 1oz for every 10 fow. If I'm running a bouncer in 25 fow I normally run a 3oz, if speed or current get a little higher I might bump that up to a 4 oz. you want you line to run back at a 45 degree angle from the boat, if it runs too far back add weight.

x2 on what Grady said, but probably run 3 oz. most of the time myself.

Gene

Like mentioned, typical is 1oz per 10ft of depth.
    But, it depends on how many rods you are going to run and how deep of water to how many weights you require. I always had 6 each from 1oz up to 8oz bouncers. And if you are going to run the bouncers off of inline boards and/or right off the side of the boat. Typically when in 18 f.o.w. thru deeper. The fish on/near the bottom are not all that spooky so you don't need to use boards. When not going for suspended fish. But you can run multiple rods trolling. Example: Front rods/most forward 6 or 8oz, next rod 4oz, next rod 2oz out the rear/back corner. No tangles. Works great. Most folks never use 8oz bouncers. I have for years, but I also fish out near the boarder in that 60 f.o.w. in August and you need 8oz as your front rod, 6oz next, 4oz last going that deep. If you never get over 45 f.o.w. you shouldn't require 8oz weights.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ebijack; 05-31-2017 at 02:59 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Thanks ebijack, and others!

My question is, with bottom bouncers and say a "weapon" you are basically dragging the lure on the bottom also?

Thanks again all, for those of us not familiar with bb's, this is very helpful!
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

Quote Originally Posted by Davesnothere View Post
    My question is, with bottom bouncers and say a "weapon" you are basically dragging the lure on the bottom also?
    What your mentioning would be a drifting situation where you run a bouncer in a rod holder that keeps tagging NOT dragging bottom. And casting/retrieving a weapon at the same time. That you count down to cover different depths. Covering the water column.
    A weapon is basically a shortened harness with an egg sinker for weight. I make mine around 16" Typically use 1/2oz or 5/8oz egg sinker. !/4 or 3/8 in shallow water.

You tye a large loop at the top of your harness and put a small bead in that loop that stops the sinker from sliding down the harness. The clip from your main line keeps the sinker from sliding up your line.

Over the past few years I have went away from using actual bottom bouncers and inline weights for trolling.
    Basically for easier/smaller required storage space, easier to store rod for another run or heading back in. Faster set up when getting out. I have 2 small boxes that cover the 50+ weights verses a large storage box ( and less tangles). Much easier/faster to change weights as required.
    You leave the 5"-7" dropper line (just like a wolf river rig, except I use #30 coated cable instead of mono). Attached to each rod, just clip the dropper line clip to the closest eyelet foot. No bouncer wire flopping around. The dropper line catches weeds just like a bouncer, a plus when floating weeds are a problem.
    Easier/faster to change weights than an inline weight. Again one less box of weights to buy and to store.
    One of my friends switched to doing this a couple years ago( after I showed him). He typically runs 20+ rods (Michigan, we get 3 rods per). The time, storage and cost savings are a major plus for him. He'll never go back to using inlines or bouncers if you ask him. He can get set up around 15 to 20 minutes depending faster with this set up. Every time out, and when getting to make another run or head back in. Big time saving. And we are lazy
    Anyway, hope this helps.
    2 Small boxes containing weights from 1/4oz to 4oz. all 6oz and 8oz go in a small HD bag. The plastic boxes I tried broke due to the weight.

Originally I started with 15" dropper line, eventually switched that down to only require a 5"-7" with no difference in catch rate. Simpler, cheaper, easier.

At the top there is a barrel swivel with a quality snap swivel (the snap swivel is for attaching your harness, or 6 ft leader for spoons or cranks) in a small loop/crimp.

At the bottom is a cheap snap swivel (if you did ever snag, the cheap swivel should break)

I spray painted the weights for easy color identification. I can look at what folks put on and know if they picked the right weight.
    I use these in place of bottom bouncers and inline weights.
    If you have rod storage lockers, the dropper stay attached to each rod. And go right into each tube. For roof storage, again the dropper/leader/harness stay attached to your rods. You only remove the weights and any crawler and you are done. Fast and easy.
    This is just the way I do it.
    Last edited by ebijack; 06-01-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Wow! Thank was extremely detailed and insightful (w/pictures too). Thanks for asking and sharing.

Yep, Thanks Ebijack!!!!!
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden

Ever try using a 3 way swivel I made some up the other day but haven't tried them yet. Hopefully this weekend.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.