Greedy Fisherman? Greedy Fisherman? Greedy Fisherman? Greedy Fisherman?

Default Greedy Fisherman?

I also can not believe the lack of posts on this site.

I have learned a lot from Walleye.com over the years and it has helped put fish in the freezer many times. So why has everyone stopped sharing information now?

I fished with a friend Friday AM mostly drifting ESE north of the Starve Island can. We ended up one fish short of a two man limit in 4 hours with 20+ short walleye thrown back and 4 or 5 large sheep head caught as well. We caught most of the fish in the 33 to 30' water depth. All fish again were caught on the bottom with bottom bouncers or dragging / slow jogging a weapon with a lot of line out and a 3/4 oz weight. One 22" fish was the largest. Other keepers were 15 1/4 to 17"

There are literally hundreds of boats in the lower passage spread out from the southern tip of South Bass past Lakeside. The fish are everywhere. Getting past the short ones to the bigger fish seems to be the biggest challenge. the bigger fish maybe the suspended ones, but they are not near as aggressive as the short ones. There are many trollers who can add to this story.

Have fun be, be safe and eat bread with your fish

It's unfortunate but I think many don't post just to avoid the mass invasion of boats. Many are going to their network of reliable friends via cell phone to keep the traffic down. I would be happy to post if I could ever get back to the lake. I was up a few weeks ago and posted about K can and watched others post about that area for weeks after that. I haven't made it back since.

Curious, why eat bread with your fish? I'm sure there is some significance there, just never heard of it.

My wife like to eat bread while eating fish, to help keep any small bones from embedding in her throat from fileting (especially smaller Northern Pike). I guess I must hog it down, because I don't normally have that problem.

My grandmother always used to serve bread and encourage us to eat it when eating fish to push the bones down if a stray one got through and lodged int he throat. I don't zipper my walleye when I grill them, i just eat around them. I am on a diet, so I don't eat bread with my fish, but it was for my grandmother.

It also make the fish go farther.... LOL

;-)

5. Default

My wife said her mother always had to have potatoes with fish for the same reason.

To the point about not sharing... it always irritated me. If there aren't enough fish in the lake for everyone to enjoy it, we shouldn't be fishing for them, period. There are, so stop being greedy, if that's something you do. Remember in the 80s and early 90s (for those who were fishing then) when you'd regularly find a tight pack of 1000 boats all drifting, casting and dragging forward weight spinners? More than a few times we all had to start up and move to avoid a collision. There was no useful internet then, but people were happy to share on the marine radio or at the docks. Some charter captains aside, who when asked where they got the fish, would hook their finger into their mouth and say, "right here!"

I don't always find the fish, but when I do am happy to share.

As to the unrelated bones issue... if you have bones in your filet, not to be judgemental here... but either you or whoever you hire is doing a really bad job in cleaning the fish. Yeah, sometimes after cutting the filet free of the fish I find a few bones, usually in predictable spots- namely from the ribs at the rear of the guts, where the filet is at its' widest. The last step after cutting free the skin is to feel around that area and trim any of those out, and a final check before cooking. I think in the past 10 years I've gotten a fish bone in my throat maybe once? Found one chewing maybe 1-2 times more?

If you're grilling the fish whole or something, that's another matter. A walleye or perch isn't as forgiving of that treatment as a trout is, and I can see the issue then. Usually a few pin bones break off as you flake the meat off the fish. But I guess I feel that after the expense and time to go GET them, after having killed the fish, it is only proper to take due time and diligence in cleaning it well, not hacking it up.

Though I still have a piece of dry bread on hand to eat if needed.